3145 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 + Redhat +DLT = trouble

SOLVED
Go to solution

Proliant DL380 + Redhat +DLT = trouble

Hi there,

I have a DL380 (G1) which I am trying to get to work with a Compaq DLT drive (35/70Gb) in Redhat Linux 8 using the built in Compaq Intergrated Smart Array Controller.

The tape drive is detected in the Bios, but not found by Redhat.

I have tried various things I have read in this forum but with no luck.

Has anyone succeed in doing this? It is connected internally, would an external connection make any difference?

I have heard that you can't run disk and tapes of the integrated controller, it's one or the other, but if that is true how come it is detected in the BIOS.

Any thoughts? As a last resort option I'll have to buy SCSI pci adapter, so any suggestions for one that would be compatible with the drive and works well in Redhat 8 would be usful, I'd sooner get it working if possible without furthe purchasing!!

Thanks in advance,

Bill
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant DL380 + Redhat +DLT = trouble

Hi William,

I had this problem too once upon a time and ended up logging a call with HP. Turns out that Tape adapters are not supported on SMART Adapters. It will be detected by the BIOS, it just won't work, how annoying eh!?

Having had a quick butchers at HP's support site, the DL380 Setup & Installation guide shows you how to install a DLT drive. See page 97 (Section 3-23) on this page:

http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_120133-002/TPM_120133-002.pdf

The DL380 has two internal SCSI adapters, you should be able to plug your tape drive into these.

Thanks for the info, very useful.

Unfortunately that is the port it is already plugged into.

I think i'll get a SCSI card and try that.

Do you know is the 35/75 DLT a wide SCSI devie and what about low voltage etc not sure what all that means? (New to SCSI!!)
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

No idea. Find out the part number of the drive and google it, you'll find out soon enough!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Tape drives are supported on the integrated array controller in this server. They're also supported on the 5i in the newer DL380's. The only restriction is when trying to run a library off the integrated array. A library usually requires multiple LUNs and this controller will not support that.

It is true in the case of other Smart Array controllers that tape drives are not supported, except for hotplug tape drives.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The drive is most likely wide, single ended (doesn't require LVD).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..