1753782 Members
7090 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 Smart Array 51 Problems

Brian McNulty

Proliant DL380 Smart Array 51 Problems

Hi,

I have a Proliant DL380 that I need to install Windows Server 2003 on.

The problem I have is when I run my installation, the setup does not pickup my two formatted blank SCSI 3 Hard-disks.

The two main issues I have are:

(1) The Smart Array 5i Controller is not picked up on bootup.

(2) There is no Array Configuration Utilty (ACU) installed that will let me configure an array/array controller.

I have checked the HP website for various Rompaqs but to no avail.

I have the latest BIOS version installed also.

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Many Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

If you don't see the Smart Array 5i message (in bright white and red letters) then there's a problem with it. You don't say if it's a DL380 G3 or G2. In the G2 the Smart Array can be removed from motherboard.
Also, you can boot with SmartStart CD and see if it detects the SmartArray.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Brian,
Yep, Check if SmartStart ACU detects it.
If it does, Use the ERASE UTILITY by booting from the SmartStart CD. This also clears the NVRAM.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12250_div/12250_div.html
Download from:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/smartstart/index.html

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Brian McNulty

Thanks for the speedy replies Gents,

I should not have left out the fact it is a G2 Series Proliant.

I have also used Smartstart for the install.

Firstly I started with Smartstart Version 7.6 but this kept freezing at the same point and not getting to the main menu.

I got further with Smartstart Version 7.0. reaching the main menu:

- the option to reboot from Smartstart to ACU and ORCA both did not work as I am not given an F8 option. I am given the F10 option (Install Systems Partions), but this tells me it is not installed.

- I ran the Erase Utily from Smartstart but to no difference.

- On the menu of the Smartstart it tells me there is no bootable partition. The two hardisks I have are both healthy.

Many thanks for your help,

Brian
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Brian, try the SS 7.91 from the Above mentioned link.

Regards.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes as vcespon says 5i controller in Dl380 G2 is a board....

have you checked it? reseat the board

also reseat SCSI backplane and cables (the one for the HDDS there are 3 - CDROM- Floppy and HDDs)

you should be able see ORCA on POST press F8 and configure your RAID level. also try clear NVRAM manually

check the procedure and also I've attached a picture that you can see where the system maintenance is located to clear NCRAM

1. Power down the server.
2. Remove the server cover.
3. Locate the System Maintenance Switch, position S6, and move the switch to the "On" position.
4. Power the server back on until Power-On Self-Test begins.
5. After POST has started, power-cycle the server off.
6. Move the System Maintenance Switch back to the "Off" position.
7. Replace the server cover and power on the system. The server will boot normally

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian McNulty

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for posting suggestions to fix my problem.

Karlo, I have tried clearing the NVRAM manually but no avail. I also reseat the RAID Controller and the SCSI backplane and cables. I still don't have the option to access ORCA or ACU. I ran the Erase Utility also but this did not seem to help.

Happy Dude, I downloaded the latest Smartstart (V. 7.91). It loads fine and I get to the menu screen but it again tells me that there is no bootable drive and it can't pickup the hard-disks.

I also tried doing a manual install of both Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Microsoft Server 2003. I used the F6 option to install a driver for my RAID Controller (SMART Array 5i). It seems to pick it up correctly but the installation ends telling me that it cannot find the hard-disks.

I also have the latest BIOS version updated. My two hard-disks are also healthy as I have swapped them with another server.

I would be very grateful for any more suggestions.

Many Thanks
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what do you mean by clear NVRAM no available?? you did it and it did not work??

you dont have the option to get into ORCA or the 5i controller is not showing up in POST?

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian McNulty

Hi Karlo,

That should have said but to no avail!!! There was so difference after clearing the NVRAM.

You are correct in saying that I you dont have the option to get into ORCA or the 5i controller is not showing up in POST.

I hope to seat a working Smart RAID 5i Controller later today off another server to see does that make a difference.

Many thanks,

Brian