ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753404 Members
6984 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 disk0 failed raid boots but new disk0 will not join the array?

dpjoff

Proliant DL380 disk0 failed raid boots but new disk0 will not join the array?

I have a Compaq DL380 Sans device using it as a windows 2000 server
I installed using the Smartstart configuration utility and created two logical disk arrays out of the four disks (RAID1). After numerious test and reboots I installed it into the rack to use for production. Upon rebooting Disk0 failed and the computer would not boot, I got a message to press F1 to Continue or F2 to fail drive or device, F1 would simply reboot the server and come right back to the same problem, F2 failed the drive on Port1 disk0, however I have replaced the drive with good disks but I can not make it re-join the array...

The error message I get when I open the Configuration Utility is "The Compaq Smart Array Controller in Embedded Slot has a bad or missing drive attached to Port 1: ID 0

To correct this problem, check the data and power connections to the physical drive.

For more information, run the Array Diagnostics Utility."

Any help? I have tried everything possible that I know how using the Cfguration utility.
Thanks
Don
6 REPLIES 6
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 disk0 failed raid boots but new disk0 will not join the array?

hi,

We have the use the option F2 where i suppose you have chossen F1. that will try to rebuild.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
dpjoff

Re: Proliant DL380 disk0 failed raid boots but new disk0 will not join the array?

I used F2 and thats what got me where I am. It failed the drive or port now its not allowing the configuration utility to use that drive on that port. I can't figure out how to enable that drive back since I put the new one in its place.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Are you able to boot to the OS. If so update the firmware in the array controller.
It can be found at:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14985.html
The off line version can be found at: (used disk one)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html
If it still does not help try this. Remove the drive in ID 0 (this is the drive that the ACU is reporting as failed); boot the server you will get an error that ID 0 has failed and you├в ll have the option to disable the logical drives or go into interim recovery; go into interim recovery and you should be able to get to the os. When you are in the OS, insert the new drive into ID 0 and see if the rebuild starts.
If you are still having a problem you would need to run the array diag utility:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15125.ht
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

To jumpstart the system, consider inserting the back disk back, then change back to the replacement drive.

This takes care of some issues that may occur when the array controller "remembers" drives that it considered previously failed.

Remember, only replace hard drives that has already failed. If the hard drive to be replaced has not failed yet (solid red LED), the server/storage system needs to be taken down first.
Martin Balaj
Frequent Advisor

Is the new drive same capacity as old one ? Same product ? Because 36,4GB (or another capacity) may not be 36,4GB .When old one have e.g. 36,4555555GB and new one have 36,422222222GB (capacity information on disks are same 36,4GB) ,the new one is recognized as failed .New disk MUST have same or greater capacity .
dpjoff

Everything worked fine up until I moved the machine into the rack and booted it up. At that point I received a blue screen saying it couldn't boot. Someone else changed the disk and pressed what he thinks was F2 which marked the drive as "failed". We placed a new disk into the server and it did not see the disk as good. It still has it marked as bad and all attempts to mark that disk good have not worked. I am about to build another server so I can remove this from production and determine what happened to it and figure out how to solve this issue.