5668 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant DL380 g7 + Graphic Card

rmendez

Proliant DL380 g7 + Graphic Card

Hello

I need install a Graphic Card a Server  Proliant DL380 g7

What Graphic Card with twho ports is compatible ?

Regards

Rene

9 REPLIES 9
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Refer to HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 7 quickspecs

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04199811

See if any Graphic card is supported, if not, you may have to consult with third party Graphic card manufacturers to see if that card works on this server.

I believe HP does not test any such cards on their servers.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SFHR
Frequent Advisor

Servers usually are not supposed for high end graphics. HP does not offer any optional graphic card for this server, however if you need to install a graphic card in your server you need to consider the available slots in first step and your future requirement for expansion.

If you just need two ports, which I don't understand the purpose, please consider using and VGA port splitter instead of installing a graphic card. Please explain purpose, may be we can suggest you a better alternate.

If you still need to install a grphic card, consider ATI PCI-E graphic card, again HP does not test third party graphic card with their servers, you may need to consult graphic card manufacturer manuals if its supported on this server.

Thank you and regards,

Regards//
SF Hussain

Help others for better Tomorrow

I cant believe the number of 'blog trog' numpties who immediately blog up a spec's page to any question like this. If the specs gave the details then people wouldnt be asking would they!!! The reply then also comes up in many searches done by people like myself - who have already read the specs. Time wasters.

The useful answer is the DL380s will work quite happily with a card that takes less than 70W and will use 1 pcie channel.

I finally got to this after buying a whole number of different cards from ebay.

I now have an ATI FirePro 2450 - gives 4 high res vga screens, and runs a treat.

I had previously a 2 vga unit in which also worked well, an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT. I only moved to the ATI because I run VMs and needed extra screens. Hope that is more helpful to people.

Paul McC

Pradeepdanthi
Occasional Advisor

Dear PaulMcC

I have one small query here is that are you able to get the display through ILO after installing these optional graphic cards?

@PaulMcC wrote:

I cant believe the number of 'blog trog' numpties who immediately blog up a spec's page to any question like this. If the specs gave the details then people wouldnt be asking would they!!! The reply then also comes up in many searches done by people like myself - who have already read the specs. Time wasters.

The useful answer is the DL380s will work quite happily with a card that takes less than 70W and will use 1 pcie channel.

I finally got to this after buying a whole number of different cards from ebay.

I now have an ATI FirePro 2450 - gives 4 high res vga screens, and runs a treat.

I had previously a 2 vga unit in which also worked well, an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT. I only moved to the ATI because I run VMs and needed extra screens. Hope that is more helpful to people.

Paul McC

Regards
Pradeep Danthi
Technical Consultant
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

iLO remote console only works with the embedded video chip.  In the case of the DL380G7, there is a special DVO bus that connects iLO directly with the ATI video chip. On newer iLO generations, a Matrox video is embedded in the iLO chip.

To add to what Paul McC wrote, the G7 (and Gen8) provide 75W of PCIe power to the x16 PCIe slots but only 25W to the x4 / x8 slots.
Since video cards are most commonly x16, any video card that does not require a PEG power connector should work just fine.
If you are not doing any 3D, then it should be easy to find a simply Dual DVI type card.

PEG = PCI Express Graphics and are either 6 or 8 pin connectors on higher end cards for additional power beyond 75W.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

JeepKeys

I have this same model server(DL380 G7) and as far as I know you can use video cards that draw up to 150watts if you buy the PCIe 16x graphics card riser and cable. I would dare to say that some "low-power" video cards may even work in other PCIe slots/risers. I know the riser that comes with the "Basic" server has 2 PCIe x8(wired x4) and 1 PCIe x16(wired x8), while the graphics card riser has a full PCIe x16(wired x16).

3Dprinter_ua

I have installed 4pcs GTX 1080 at Proliant DL380 g7

one from internal power and three from external power

But i cant install 5 cards. Bios is fail and i should repeir my server.

reb3921
Occasional Visitor

how new are these graphics cards and did you have to use an adaptor, I need at least a 2gig video card to run pix 4d on my server just to process the information in house instead of using a cloud service....