1753663 Members
5606 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380G3 Fan RPM

Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

Proliant DL380G3 Fan RPM

Is there any way/tool to see the actual fan speed RPM , or their current speed set by the system's control ?

Server Proliant DL380G3, bios of 06-2004
IM agents: 7.10

many thanks
19 REPLIES 19
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

Reason for this request is the complaints that the dl380 makes to much fan noise (all redundant fans together), and I need to prove that the intergrated fan control system is working OK with the software drivers, and the speeds are controlled proportionally to the heat.

The operation's suspicion is that this actually is not functioning. The System homepage says fan speed "NORMAL".

Normally the HP Proilaint Advanced System Managent driver controols the fans, but this package refuses to let itself be installed. Reporting it is not required.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Remon:

There have been errata for the DL360 server reqiring that SW2 System Maintenance Switch S3 is set to the "OFF" position along with the bios update and the system health driver installed.

You could try this fix on the server and see if you get the fans to spin down.

1. Install latest bios.
2. Install latest health drivers.
Shutdown and open the top cover.
3. Set SW2 pin 3 to OFF
Reboot

Let us know if you have success with this? If so, we need to let HP know this issue is also on the DL380.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

John, thanks for the remarks. But unfortunately the DL360 solution does not apply to the DL380. (no SW2 on the board for instance)
There are numerous entries in the forum about the dl380 fans, some are even mine. But so far no solution found.
The latest bios, SP710, and all filmmwares updates did not do the trick.

I created a online case no to HP, and hope this will produce anything usefull. At least something I could prove with it is actually regulating it via some other software driver.

Maybe a HP engineer could look into this.
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

One time kick.

No Engineer who knows a way to check this ?
Thanks.
Tom Mayer
Occasional Contributor

I too am having problems with my DL380 G3 and its fans shunting down to a normal speed. I initially installed Windows 2003 Server without using SmartStart to configure the server.... but after trying everything HP support had to throw at I took their suggestion and rebuilt this server from scratch using the Smartstart setup... Unfortunately... the fans are still NOT shunting down to the normal speeds.
If anyone finds the resolution... Please contact me with your information on this fix.
I really hate to put this noisy creature in the server room... my operators will hunt me down and look for the hanging tree...
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

I was asked by HP to perform a test on this.
When booting woth the smartstart cd , a small os of linux base is loaded. this OS also contains the rpm controll driver.

The test was to boot from this cd with the top cover off, and hear if the fans did trim doen when booted from the cd. With us the test failed. The fans did not slow down even with the cd.

We repeated the test with only the notrmal fans in the server, removing the redundant ones, but same result.

Maybe you can do the same?
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

After performing that test, did the HP engineer recommend a parts replacement? If so, what parts?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

No the investigation is ongoing, this test was done by be yesterday evening.

But I will keep posting on this issue on each change. I know how it feels being hunted by the operators.
I caught them yesterday having placed rack side panels we had spare in front of the racks to block he sound off. No harm done, but it illustrates the level of irritation well.
Felix Tsoi

I also got a DL380G3 w/ 3.06G CPU. I've a Engineer came last week because I also have that fan noise issue.

He did test with the SmartStart CD, and also replaced the system board. The fan speed did not slow down at the noise is still at the same level.

I think HP should work on this.