1752636 Members
5939 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380G3 - Fan Speed Reset

L Keith Wynn
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL380G3 - Fan Speed Reset

I have two DL380G3's and both have been found to be running with increased fan speeds after a hot weekend with reduced air conditioning.

I'd like to know two things:
1. The threshold temperature at which the internal fans switch from normal to high speed.

2. Whether the fans should reset to normal speed without rebooting server.

I find currently that only a reboot resets the fans to normal. When I come into the office, the temp has normalized, but the fan speed is still high.
This occurs on both servers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor
L Keith Wynn
Occasional Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380G3 - Fan Speed Reset

Would this apply to the G3 series?

I did find the thresholds by running server diagnostics on the Smart Start disk. Fans and Thermal sensors tested ok.

I checked the server room temp over the weekend and found that a ceiling exhaust fan was on - drawing hot are from under the door into the server room, and exhausting the cool out.

We will be having the exhaust fan disconnected.

Our remaining issue is the fan speeds not resetting to normal operation when the temps normalize @ night.
L Keith Wynn
Occasional Contributor

There are no Thermal Configuration settings on the G3 Series Bios.

Can anyone confirm to me that the DL380 G3 fans should reset without reboot when the temp normalizes in the server room.

Also, is there a temp threshold where the server will shut down to guard against hardware damage?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01214901&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082

Although the ProLiant DL380 G3 includes hardware-based fan control, HP recommends that the software-based fan control provided by the Health Driver be utilized since the Health Driver can incrementally increase or decrease the fan speed to account for changes in temperature within the server. Compared to software-based fan control, the hardware-based fan control logic in the ProLiant DL380 G3 server only has two speeds: low and full and is only capable of increasing the system fan speed from low to 100 percent when a certain temperature threshold defined within the System ROM is exceeded. Once the fan speed has been increased to 100 percent, there is no provision for the hardware to slow the system fans from 100 percent to low speed even if the internal temperature is later reduced below the temperature threshold. The only method to slow the system fans back to low speed once the internal temperature is reduced below the temperature threshold is by rebooting the system or by loading the Health Driver.

Seems you don't have the agents running on that server - installing the health driver should automatically do this without a reboot...
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

as far as auto reboot to prevent damage is concerned, once the temperature reaches the operating threshold the ASR should be triggered and initiate reboot in 10 mins:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01158873&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082

That's in case the ASR is enabled of course...