5920 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL385 USB problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Honis

Proliant DL385 USB problem

I have a number of Proliant DL385 and DL380 servers. They advertise USB 2.0. Using smart start 7 to install Windows Server 2003 SP2 I run into the following problem.

The USB ports will only activate as 1.1 ports. How do I get them to work as USB 2.0 ports ?

If I install an expansion USB card, the expansion card only works if I disable the USB in BIOS, losing access to the front panel USB port.

With rack mounted servers using cable management systems, the front panel USB port extremely helpful and losing it is a great incovienence.

Perfered solution - How do I get the built in ports to work as USB 2.0 ports ?

Acceptable but not perfered solution - How do I make the built in port work (even as 1.1) along with an expansion card that delivers 2.0 ?

Thanks for any help / suggestion.
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Dave,
I dont recall it exactly, but there is an option in RBSU(BIOS) to change the SPEED.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Dave Honis

Unfortunatly, this is not available on my system.

I do have the rom based setup utility version 2.10, however these options are not there on my systems.

Under USB controls I have only 3 options, not 4, External USB Ports Disabled is not an option listed.

The next option, USB 2.0 Controller is not there at all. When researching this I read the manual and saw this, but don't have those selections available.

Is there some other setting that needs to be enabled to activate these options ?

Thanks.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Dave,
Which Generation of servers are u referring to ?

DL380 g4 & DL385 G2 starts with USB 2.0. Generations before them have USB 1.1 only.

Regards.
Dave Honis

The DL385 is a G1, so apparantly it does not have USB 2.0 capability even tho the invoice specs state that it does. So ....

Second option....

How do I enable the internal USB ports to run at 1.1 while a USB 2.0 card is installed in one of the pci expansion slots. In order to get the expansion card working I had to choose the USB Disabled option in USB settings.

Thanks again.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Dave,

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12162_div/12162_div.html
It says USB 1.1 :)

Y disable the internal USB ? you mean to say, without disabling it, the server will not recognize it ? OS or RBSU ?

Regards.
Dave Honis

Hi. thanks for all your responses. I got things working.

I had to disable the internal USB in order to allow the OS to properly recognize and install the drivers for the add-in card. after installation I was able to reenable the internal USB 1.1 ports.

All ports, both internal and add in are now working.

You've been very helpful. Thanks for your time and efforts.

Dave
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

I should say thanks to you Dave, with those last 10 points.. I crossed the 2500 mark & got my crown.
;)

Regards.