5864 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL585 G2 Firmware and BIOS

Sk8erBoi
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL585 G2 Firmware and BIOS

Hello friends,
I have two identical proliant servers (DL585 G2) in a test environment and I want to try to set both of them to the same firmware and bios version but I can't find any updates for the backup version...

One has an backup version from 04/30/2010, the other 05/02/2011

Both have the HP BIOS at A07 05/02/2011 and Bootblock at 09/13/2006

In addition, I noticed that the server with the newer backup version, controls the fan different (specifically more softer), can it be related?

If possible please send me some links to the latest updates available (for ILO 2 too please)

Many thanks and best regards

Patrick
13 REPLIES 13
Sanilk
HPE Pro

Hi Patrick ,

If there is no errors in IML , the fan speed may be related to the  firmware .Also it depends on the work load in the server .

The system ROM " A07 04/30/2010  is the previois version .

The latest version is "A07 05/02/2011"

You can download the firmware from the following link ;

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/3219726/HPE-ProLiant-DL585-G2-Server?ismnp=0&l5oid=3219717#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table

Note :You need to select the Operating System and Operating System Subtype .

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sk8erBoi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sanilk,
there are any errors in IML, I've installed the ROMPaq Firmware from the SP68126.exe for the 2nd or 3rd time, but the Backup Version still shows the 04/30/2010.

Don't know how to get this updated...

To be sure, I have checked all the dip switches inside the servers and also all bios settings, they are all identical on both machines.

The only difference between the Servers are the installed amount of RAM and the HDD.
Sk8erBoi
Occasional Advisor

Hold on, something happened!
The backup version is suddenly up to date!
I don't know how that could happen now ...

The response of the fans has not changed at all, they still react pretty aggressive, not as soft like on the other server.
Sanilk
HPE Pro

Hi Patrick ,

Thanks for the update .

This seems like the fans are rotating with high Speed .

We need to check/update the firmware and driver versions of all the hardware components like array controller, network etc .

Also we can perform an Insight Diagnostics test to verify the hardware functionality.

If the issue still persists, kindly log a case with HPE and collect Advance Survey report along with the HPS report from the server for further investigation .

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sk8erBoi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sanilk,

it's not that the fans are running at high speed all the time, it's the spinning up process when you turn on or restart the machine.
The affected server apparently works with a hard on, off and idle, the other works with a gentle up and down of the fans.
This hard spin up of the fans is certainly not healthy for the server, right?
Is there any way to change the behavior of the fans?
Maybe some dip switch on the system board or a hidden bios setting?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You mean the fans run at a higher speed when you power on / boot the server, then the speed is normal?

This sounds like normal behaviour during calibration.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sk8erBoi
Occasional Advisor

Hey Torsten,

I know that this behavior is normal, I have several servers and know that, of course, but that two identical servers have a different characteristic when testing and operating the fan isn't normal, right?
Sanilk
HPE Pro

Hi Patrick ,

Sometimes , the Fan Speed may vary at the time of power ON. That is a normal behaviour .

If you want deeper analysis ,we need to check/update the firmware and driver versions of all the hardware components like array controller, network etc . Also we can compare  the Firmware and Driver with the working setup .

If you would like to perform deeper analysis , kindly log a case with HPE and collect Advance Survey report along with the HPS report .

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Based on my experience the calibration after power on is different (takes longer) after a complete power cycle (power removal) and after BIOS / ILO updates. Consider this as normal.

By the way, the "backup" BIOS is just the inactive BIOS store, on next update the new bits are written to this inactive bank,, the reboot will then switch the inactive and active BIOS bank. So you normally have the previous installed version in the backup BIOS.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!