1752449 Members
5994 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant Dual Power supplies

Steve Kurtz
Occasional Advisor

Proliant Dual Power supplies

Anyone have an idea on how dual power supplies in a server draw power. Is it one or the other that is powering the server or is it shared across both? Problem is load balancing datacenter PDU's. I don't want all server pw feeding off of a single PDU in a dual PDU/UPS datacenter. Is there a way to specify which power supply is the primary?
8 REPLIES 8
Arnoud Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant Dual Power supplies

Have you ever found the answer to this question? I'm having the same question and need to find out if in a DL360(G3, G4) and a DL380(G3, G4), both types equipped with 2 power supplies, the power is either drawn from 1 PSU (until failure occurs) or both PSU's sharing the load at the same time.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

I purpose that there is N+N redundant scheme, therefore one PSU always in hot stand by mode. I never heard about selecting primary/secondary PSU - The power converter module provides the redundant power supply interface
Arnoud Dekker
Occasional Advisor

So if I understand correctly: 1 PSU active, 1 PSU in hot standby. But what would the power consumption be of the stanby PSU? Is there any documentation to be found about this subject?

Hi,

In a N+1 redundancy mode, All N powersupplies will be in hot mode(Active) and the redundant one will be always in standby mode. It's really difficulat to identify which is standby and which is active. However one for sure, which ever supply is turned on first will be in active mode.

What is the PDU configuration u are using, is it primary secondary mode. If so, equally allocate the power supplies to the UPS.

regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
Arnoud Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to Ruslan & Sunil Kumar V S!
My question regarding this topic has been fully answered. Too bad I don't seem to be able to give out any points :/
Steve Kurtz
Occasional Advisor

We are using 2 datacenter PDU's and have
power from each pdu to each rack in the DC.
I guess the only way to address the problem
is to make sure each PDU handles all power
requirements if either PDU goes offline.

Hi,

Yes, all that you need to ensure that the rack has redundant PDUs, which is goint to the redundant UPS.

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
Arnoud Dekker
Occasional Advisor

Okay, thanks again all. We have decided to not even bother about powerconsumption and just calculate our UPS' needs based on full powerconsumption of both PSU's, which was our initial intention.