ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748282 Members
3951 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant Gen 8 server installation of Server 2016 STD drives aren't visibile

Ntokozo

Proliant Gen 8 server installation of Server 2016 STD drives aren't visibile

Hi I am having trouble with installing the Proiliant Server using Server 2016 Std as an operating system.  The hard drive is not visible even when I scan for it when loading the operating system.  Please assist

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant Gen 8 server installation of Server 2016 STD drives aren't visibile

Hi,

1. Check if your server is supported for Server 2016.

2. Did you create RAID before trying to install an operating system?

Use the Intelligent Provisioning to create RAID and install an OS.

Thank You!

I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mikldk
Advisor

Re: Proliant Gen 8 server installation of Server 2016 STD drives aren't visibile

Sounds like no RAID has been created.

Press F10 under POST - and go to "Intelligent Provisioning" and press HP Smart Storage Administrator.

Maybe this is usefull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWayakRZA04

Kind Regards Mikkel Knudsen
mp_ljna
Occasional Advisor

No joke, this has been absolute hell.

Mine just sits at 0% on the install screen for eternity.

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Not sure if my experience would add anything here...

I created my array using the ROM based tools available during POST. The interface is a throwback to the 1980's but works.

After configuring the array I rebooted my system and the Windows setup program found my drive just fine. I installed from a bootable DVD-DL disc made from an ISO image downloaded from Microsoft.

However ...

Being a Gen8 server it doesn't seem to support UEFI and I could not get Windows to recognize capaciity above 2TB in my first logical drive. So, in a RAID 0 of 4x600GB I lose 400GB. Kicking down to 3x600GB is fine though. The subsequent logical drives have no problems going beyond 2TB.

My Gen8 has the P420i controller and I installed Server 2019. I know 2019 is not officially supported or even condoned by HPE but I decided to try it on a whim knowing that if it bonked out for whatever reason then I will move down to 2016. Both evaluation versions are freely available from Microsoft. So far I have not had any problems with 2019 and am happy with how the system runs.

Boris