ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748197 Members
2530 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Gen10 Has No Insight Diagnostics?

carlos_wei
Visitor

Proliant Gen10 Has No Insight Diagnostics?

Hi All,

Working on the new Gen 10's and noticed that  Insight Diagnostics is no longer part of Intelligent Provisioning and Service Pack for ProLiant. We used this tool to collect a survey of the server but since it's no longer available, we are looking for an alternate method of collecting hardware information from the server. Is anybody aware of any tools we can use?

Thanks,

17 REPLIES 17
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Isn't (still? as it ever was) available as an Online System Management Tool that should be installed on Server OS?

Troubleshooting Guide for HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers refers to ID in those terms, indeed the used statement is:

"Insight Diagnostics is a tool that displays information about the system hardware configuration and performs tests on the system and its components, including drives if they are connected to Smart Array controllers. This utility is available on the Hewlett Packard Enterprise website."

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
carlos_wei
Visitor

Thanks for your reply parnassus! Sorry I didn't specify. I am refering to the offline version since we collect this data before deployment of server and no OS installed in most cases.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I'm one of those users that were unaware of running Insight Diagnostic Offline thorugh Intellingent Provisioning (here): so your question kicks in again very correctly...Was it removed from latest Production SPP 2017.07.x for Gen9 and Gen10 and/or from embedded Intelligent Provisioning on Gen10? is that right?

Edit: found...at least that's what I think...Intelligent Provisioning 3.00 (September 2017) supports HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers and correlates with SPP 2017.07.1 and iLO5 v1.10 instead Intelligent Provisioning 2.60 (July 2017), which doesn't support Gen10, correlates with SPP 2017.04.0 and iLO4 2.53...said so:

So definitely something changed between SPP 2017.04 and 2017.07 and between Gen9 and Gen10 (due to IP 2.60->3.00).

I'm not an HPE Employee
carlos_wei
Visitor

Correct. The latest SPP and the Gen 10 IP doesn't seem to have any Insight Diagnostic utility from what I've seen. But my question is more, is there an alternative? Or a 3rd party tool that can be used to collect surveys?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I never touched the Gen10 so far, but maybe intelligent provisioning has something similar?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Torsten.Me too.

The only reference to "diagnostic" word and/or "diagnostic capabilities" words in Intelligent Provisioning (3.00) User Guide for HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers and HPE Synergy linked above is specifically related to HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA).

The paragraph about Insight Diagnostic available on Intelligent Provisioning for Gen9 (2.60) was removed entirely.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

the SPP2017.07 release notes say no offline diags in SPP, but online it still works - whatever that means.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@carlos_wei wrote:

Correct. The latest SPP and the Gen 10 IP doesn't seem to have any Insight Diagnostic utility from what I've seen. But my question is more, is there an alternative? Or a 3rd party tool that can be used to collect surveys?

Take a look at the ProLiant Scripting Toolkit. It is available for both Linux and Windows. THere are tools included to gather hardware information.  https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/detail/pip.5219389.html

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Torsten.

Yep but, AFAIK, SPP 2017.07.1 (or .2) Release Notes looks a little bit unobtanium, latest I saw was related to SPP 2017.04.

Edit 30.09.2017: it seems that SPP 2017.07.02 Release Notes and other documentation are finally available here.

I'm not an HPE Employee