New Discussion юеВ

Proliant Generations Denotions

SOLVED
Go to solution
cam9269
Regular Advisor

Proliant Generations Denotions

Hi Guys,

I've been wondering what's the difference between those proliant servers have R01, R02, R03 and G1, G2, G3 machines.

Anybody can shed some light over this?

TIA!
7 REPLIES 7
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proliant Generations Denotions

I believe the R0x were used while Proliant servers were made and released by Compaq. When HP acquired Compaq, they started using Gx designations.
cam9269
Regular Advisor

Thanks Modris, so in terms of sparing up for machines, I could interchange parts I spared up for the Rx and Gx, correct?
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure about compatibility. Safest bet would be to consult the hardware spec pages for specifics.
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor

You man not be able to use the parts of Rx to Gx. Rx are old server and Gx are new servers. So it could cause compatibility issues.
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor
Solution

The R0x and Gx have been interchanged by HP throughout the years. The R0x was used early on for all servers, but has taken on a new meaning for Proliant in the last 8 years. Any system with an "R" annotation means it is a rackmount server, and the number following is the generation of that server. The "T" would denote a tower server. Most times the components are interchangeable - HDD, CPU, RAM, System borads and fans, and the difference is the chassis form factor.

Basically Gx and R0x and T0x all mean the same thing in terms of the generations, jut the R and T distinguish form factors.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

R = Rack
T = Tower.

G names came along when they renewed the DL's and ML's.

Back in 1999/2000.
The Proliant was renamed to the DL and ML lines.
A few years later. They renew the servers, and now called the DLxxx G2 etc.

A R02 is a G2 Rack server.

Beware DL's are all rack servers

ML's can be Rack or Tower.

The R's and T's are used in some part numbers.

Accept or Kudo

cam9269
Regular Advisor

all OK