5566 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML 110 G3 - HP Embedded SATA RAID - Questions

Manos Pantelidakis
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML 110 G3 - HP Embedded SATA RAID - Questions

Hello to Everyone.

I have configured the HP Embedded SATA RAID controller in my Proliant ML 110 G3 as "Enchanced" and "RAID". Then i create the Array as RAID 1 (Mirror) for fault tolerance.

Everything works fine when i install Windows Server 2003, i press F6, i provide the system with the RAID Driver, and i create the partitions that i need on this fault tolerant drive.

I have problems when i try to install Red Hat Linux Enterprise. Fault tolerance is what is need (there are two 80Gb SATA drives inside). The configuration is like above - RAID 1 Array. I have the linux driver for the embedded controller ready and i type "linux update dd" to have the system ask me for a driver disk during installation. Everything goes fine and here comes the moment that i have to create partitions with Disk Druid.

Instead of what i expect to see (one drive - the array drive, the fault tolerant one)
there are two drives: /dev/sda & /dev/sdb each one with 76139 MB free. Where is the Hardware RAID 1 Array that i created in controller's BIOS ? Why does disk Druid can "see" two separate drives and not the RAID Array that i created ?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML 110 G3 - HP Embedded SATA RAID - Questions

Did you create RAID 1 using BIOS raid configurator? If yes, it means that your linux driver doesn't recognize sata RAID.
Which RHEL version do you use?
Manos Pantelidakis
Occasional Contributor

Yes, i created the RAID 1 Array using the controller's BIOS (pressing F8 when prompted).
The version is RHEL 4 Update 3.
The driver is provided by HP, it should recognize SATA RAID.
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

are you using this floppy http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24973.html?

It seems like this driver supports only RHLE4 update 1 and 2.