1753893 Members
7780 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML 350 G4 test project

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

http://www.imgburn.com/ works great for burning images to discs.

Baalinor
Advisor

I put the dvd disk in my computer and it tried to boot from the dvd, I did not hit any key because I saw no reason to , it tried to boot from there  Ifigured it was correct. There was an internal CD ROM drive in the box, I replaced it w ith a DVD Rom I had, but it wou dl nolt boot from there.   The image is a downloaded image from Dreamspark from school, I set it up as a virtual machine to do my labs, no problems there. I may need to jsut hit  a key and see if  windows starts to load the windows set up files.

Thanks Johan for the  l ink, I will check it out later or tomorrow.  the quarter is almost over, last week and I can work on this more.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience with me.

Baalinor
Advisor

Waaronb,  I downloaded the firmware and burned it to a DVD disk. I tried to boot the G4 witht he disk in a dvd drive, but it wuld not boot to the firmware. There are some issues, I took pictures of the boot screens and the BIOS set up screens. they are here: http://imgur.com/a/MnMIU#0  I th ink I placed them in an order where I can ask questions in sequence.

The first 5 pictures are jsut boot sequences, can you  see anything in there I need to change?

in the 6th picture,  At the bottom, second line from the bottom, "PXE61: Media Test Failure, check cable"  waht exactly is this talking aobut? I have checked all  cabels and reseated every card in both serves and get the same error message on both.  Please any details about this is important I think.

The next pictuer i s of the  boot order. I have the CD-ROM first. I bought a SATA/IDE adapter for my DVD Drive because the G4 does not have a SATA plug on the MB. I burned the firmware to DVD disk, however it will not boot to the  firmware.  What do I need to do?

The next pictuer is of the  bood controller sequence. How is that suposed to be set up?  Does it really matter?

The next picture is the same, but the last one is of the BIOS Serial Console and EMS. What do I need to do with these?

I have never flashed a BIOS before, Please tell me what to do.

I have asked one of the teachers for help, all I get from him is requests to give him the two servers, not sure I trust him.  I  figure  it this way, if I can get these servers working, it is a good start on a new career, maybe not thought he way it has gone so far.

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.