3359 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML 350 G5

leony83
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML 350 G5

Hi,

We have an ML 350 G5 and we would like to use it as a storage server only. I am not really clued up with servers and raid configuration but I know PCs in and out. 

My question is that what do I need to do to add only 1 Normal Sata 3.5 Drive (not SAS or anything else as a RAID) to the server and use it as a normal storage device?

I have realised that there is no ready power cable for the SATA drive and the SAS connection seems different. Just for your info. 

Many thanks for your help. 

2 REPLIES 2
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Large Form Factor 3.5" drives can only be installed in on tower or rack models with LFF chassis models and Small Form Factor 2.5" drives can only be installed on tower or rack models with SFF chassis (models).

The SATA/SAS hard drive cage for SFF and LFF differ and is not interchangeable.

The power and data pathways are contained in the hard drive cage and no separate cables are required.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

leony83
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Many thanks for your help. I suspect that the drive cage (where the SAS drives are in) is damaged as the server gets started regularly, anyway this is besides the point, so I want to bypass the cage, put a SATA drive in the computer and try to boot that way. 

Is this possible? In this way I will need extra SATA data cable and power cable?