5095 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML 350 G6 P410i RAM cache with battery--Battery won't charge

NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML 350 G6 P410i RAM cache with battery--Battery won't charge

Hello,

We have a ML 350 G6 with all the latest driver/Bios updates (to the best of my knowledge; Current firmware versions listed in attachment below) .  I recently purchased a 512MB RAM cache chip with battery for the P410i card so we could create more than 2 array's.   When I installed it, The cache appeared to work fine, as I was able to create additional array's, however the status of the battery immediately showed "Failed" in SMH.   I figured it needed time to charge, so I left it for a week.     No change however; it still showed up as "Failed" in SMH Smart Array P410i in Slot 0 page.   I disabled Read/Write Cache for the time being, until I can be sure that the battery indeed works.  

Thinking I had a bad battery, I ordered a replacment.  I plugged in this new battery, and saw the Serial Number listed iN SMH for the battery change (So I know it deteteced the new battery) but it was giving me the same "Battery Status: Failed" message.  I let this battery charge for 3 days as well, and it still shows up as "Failed" today. 

It's must unlikely that both batteries are failed; so what could the issue be?  Why isn't the battery charging?  I checked the cable connection from the card to the battery (both times for both batteries) and everything seems to be fine.   Can anyone shed any light on what I might be missing?  

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Some times the issue could be with cache module or cable that connects the cache/battery.

OR

Some times the issue could be with SMH version or Array Diagnostic Utility version.

Try with different version or SMH and also test the controller with Array Diagnostic Utility.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

BSeklecki
Advisor

Yes try hpacucli DIRECTLY:

(In theory, SMH is a frotnend to the same underlying data structures, but...)

hpacucli> ctrl all show status

~BAS

NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor

Ok, when I used hpacucli, it reports:

Smart Array P410i in Slot 0 (embedded)
Controller Status: OK
Cache Status: Not Configured
Battery/Capacitor Status: Failed (Replace Batteries/Capacitors)

So by running this hpacucli check, does this eliminate the possibility that the issue is with the version of SMH I'm running? Can I assume that the issue now lies either within the cache Module or the cable? Thanks again for the help guys!
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

i've had a cable fail, it was too long.
suggest spend $100 on FBWC module and super cap .

heck used you can get whole controller with supercap and have no more battery problems.
NG-OPS
Occasional Advisor

Thanks sbrown, but we already paid the money for this one. :) If it's bad, I can get a replacement free of charge...I do have a question on your "cable" incident...we ordered the cache chip and battery all together from the same vendor, and the cable came with it. What do you mean "too long?" Why would they provide a cable with the chip and battery if it didn't work with the set? I'm confused there. Did you have some custom cable that wasn't included with the set?