108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML 350 G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
DianneLopez
Established Member

Proliant ML 350 G6

My servers are losing connectivity. I have 4 servers in the network, two of them are Proliant ML 350 G6 servers and they are losing connectivity with each other. One is the domain controller, one is the Exchange server. They both have HP NC326i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapters. The driver version on the NICs is 16.4.0.1 from 10/16/2013. The adapters are not teamed because I get an error each time I try to team them. The NICs are configured for 1000 Mb Full Duplex on the server and Auto Negotiation on the switch. On the switch I see Packets with Errors on the interface where these two servers are connected. These are the only two interfaces on the switch reporting Packets with Errors. Both servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2, fully updated.

The Exchange server will lose its rights to Active Directory on the AD server causing problems with Exchange services. The SACL rights are displayed in the Application log in event viewer, eventid 2080. The SACL rights to the domain controller will just drop and I can not find what is happening that makes them drop.

My questions are: 1. How should the speed & duplex be configured on the server and on the switch? 

What could be causing the Packets with Errors on the switch?

What could be causing the loss of SACL rights to the domain controller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant ML 350 G6

Our ML350's NIC speed is set to Auto, but it's running at 1Gb Full Duplex. If set to Auto and you have cabling problems, it can fall back to 100, which would indicate connection issues. I would look at the hardware first, like swapping ports on the switch and connecting the server to the switch with a single known good cable if possible.  When you have elimiated the hardware you can start looking at possible server issues.

DianneLopez
Established Member

Thank you for your reply Edwin, I so appreciate hearing back on this issue.

I have tried to eliminate any hardware issues. I connected to a different port on the switch, I used different cables which tested good on my tester, and I changed from Port 1 to Port 2 on the server NIC. Still seeing the errors on the switch. My plan now is to change the Speed & Duplex on the NIC settings to 1000Mb Full Duplex and set the server port to match. I will make these changes on both servers and server ports and then watch for errors.

DianneLopez
Established Member
Solution

In case anyone has a similar issue, I was able to finally team the NICs and all the errors on the switch resolved when I set both the NIC settings and the Interface settings to auto negotiate. I guess it doesn't like being told what to do, it wants to decide on its own.. Thanks.