6067 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML 350 Scsi drive upgrades

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray McCarthy

Proliant ML 350 Scsi drive upgrades

My system is running NT4 SP6, Smart array 431 controller, raid 5.
I have three drives of 9.1gb each. I have just purchased 3 36gb drives to replace these. I am also bringing memory up to 1gb. Can i assume that if i replace one of the drives at a time, allowing the re-writing of data to that drive, then when all drives have been replaced, I can then extend the array from 17gb to 51gb without having to restore any data.
4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant ML 350 Scsi drive upgrades

Yes you can do it; just make sure that the rebuild process finished before you remove the next drive. When all 3 drives have been replace you should have some unused space in the array, you can then extend your logical drive.

Make sure you have a recent, valid backup before starting :-)
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Ray McCarthy

Thanks for that. Will 24 hours be enough do you think?
Ray
Ray McCarthy

My array has increased to 64gb, and the parity check it had to do finally completed after 4 days. The server is split into a C: & D:\ drive, and I want to increase the D:\ drive from 13gb to include all available space. I thought this might have occurred automatically, but it didn't. Is there something else I need to do to get the D:\ drive to use available space on array.
Thanks
Chris Wilkins_2
Advisor

Ray -
You must manually extend the partition from the disk management snapin. There are certain cases where this won't work - If you already have a stripe set for instance.

Good Luck

Chris