7319 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML 370, Adding 6th drive to array

Arch Stockton_1
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML 370, Adding 6th drive to array

Background:
Proliant ML370 with SA 5300 with 5 72GB HDD in RAID 5, single array, single logical drive.
Problem:
After adding the 6th drive first to the array (completed without incident) and then trying to add the new space to the logical drive, I have to acknowledge several pourly worded warnings about data loss, I am allowed to extend the logical array. 12 hours later when the process is done, the ACU still reports unused available space on the array, and the space in fact has not been added.

I have sucessfully done this twice before, can anyone help me to understand why it is giving me problems this time?

Thank you
Arch
4 REPLIES 4
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Arch,

Are you working with the latest controller firmware and and latest ACU version.

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Martin Balaj
Frequent Advisor

Is the 6th drive exctly same capacity or larger than others ?
Arch Stockton_1
Occasional Contributor

Yes the controller has the latest firmware, which required the latest driver, and the ACU is the latest version that I could find.

Arch
e4services
Honored Contributor

Since you have added the drive to the array, I would think the drives are the same size, otherwise the drive would not have been able to add (you say it completed without incident) and I am not sure why using the "latest" would help your problem.
I am aware though about the limitations of strip size .vs. logical drive size. THe documentation does not mention any limitation but I know I have seem other users hitting this limit. Others have reported limits to the size of drive that can be "extended" at 502GB, and have been force to backup and restore to a new configuration of a logical drive that included all the new drives. Without solving why there is a limit, I would suggest you simple make another RAID logical volume and extend the OS logical drive (if the OS supports) to the new volume as a solution or backup, clear your existing configuration add the new drives and create a new logical drive including all the drives.
Hot Swap Hard Drives