New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML 370 G2 External SCsi Connector

SOLVED
Go to solution
Harry_58
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML 370 G2 External SCsi Connector

Hello people;
I'm planning on installing an external DLT 40/80tape drive on my ML370 G2 server. I already have an internal tape drive, which is not enough for my needs. The question is if there are any known problems concerning the installation of an external tape drive (Like the G1 has a problem, where it does not accept anything on the external connector while there is an internale peripheral connected on port1)?
Next question is and i know this is not the place to ask it, but never know, some people may have had the same situation so your help is appreciated. I'm using Veritas backup exec, ans i'm intending to use both tape drives as stand alone drives, is that possible?
I thank you so much on any help.
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Harry,

The G2 has the same limitation as the G1 in that SCSI port 1 can be used for internal OR external storage but not both. Here is the note from the G2 storage page.

------------------------------------------
CAUTION: External SCSI port 1 and internal SCSI port 1 are the same port. Because the port cannot be used for both internal and external devices at the same time, disconnect any devices connected to the internal SCSI port 1 connector, including the terminated SCSI cable, before connecting external SCSI port 1 to an external device.
------------------------------------------

The G2 supports HOTPLUG tape units such as the DAT40, DAT72, AIT50 and AIT100. These occupy 2 disk drive spaces in the disk shelf (If you have enough space). This might be an alternative if you really need two tape drives. You could also fit a PCI SCSI controller (Adaptec 29160 for example) and connect the DLT40/80 to it and leave the other one alone.
Veritas will see the units as Compaq1 and Compaq2 (If they have Compaq model signatures)by default but you can rename them to whatever you want e.g. DAT12-24 and DLT40-80 for example. You would get better perfomance with them on seperate controllers if you really need to keep both.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Harry,

Just for reference here is a link to the ML370G2 Quickspec. This mentions the hotplug drive models supported. (Click the Storage tab)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10901_na/10901_na.HTML

Regards,

Brian
Harry_58
Occasional Contributor

I thank you Brian for much needed and extremely useful information.
Keep up the good job.