108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML 370 fault tolerant boot disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Farrell
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML 370 fault tolerant boot disk

I have a Proliant ML370 with a failing hard 36 GB hot plug disk, the boot partition is mirrored to a second 72 GB drive, How do I boot from the mirror if the primary drive fails?
I have read that I must use a FT Boot diskette, but how is this created? or is there another way
4 REPLIES 4
Kenneth W. Adams
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant ML 370 fault tolerant boot disk

From the configuration file you attached, I gather that the OS drive is mirrored via the operating system, not via a Smart Array controller card. In the case of mirroring via the OS, you need to create a bootable disk (floppy or CD-ROM) that contains a boot.ini file with an entry pointing to the secondary disk. Take the machine's existing boot.ini file (located in the root of the boot disk), copy it, then modify the appropriate lines to point to disk 1 (instead of disk 0) and partition 2 (partition 1 has data, partition 2 is the mirror of the boot drive).
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would recommend looking at this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;113977
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Frank Farrell
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help Kenneth,
The mirror is OS Based as you surmised
I formatted a diskette on the NT4 Server, I copied ntldr, ntdetect, & modifed the boot.ini as you advised
can I test this or will that break the mirror?
regards
Frank Farrell
Frank Farrell
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the link also Terry,
Our posts were made at the same time, I did not see your message until after I posted my reply, the article explains fully how to make a FT boot disk
Regards
Frank Farrell