ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753424 Members
5244 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML 530 dual CPU and Windows 2003

Mike_566

Proliant ML 530 dual CPU and Windows 2003

Hi I have a ML 530 G1 with 2 Xeon 1Ghz chips and 2.5Gb RAM. When I tried to install W2K3 manually it hung until I pressed f5 to choose the hal. On completion of this. I have tried to upgrade the hal to a mps hal but to no avail. I also copied checked versions of the mps hal and modified the boot.ini file and it hangs. Is there any option to enable the second processor? I don't care about acpi, I just want to have SMP running.

Cheers
Mike
12 REPLIES 12
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,
Please reduce the amount of RAM to 1GB and after the installation then bump it back up. I did experience this problem in W2K. When the Memory was reduced to minimum required then everything went fine.

Regards,
Mike_566

Hi Sunil,
I just tried that but no cigar. I have taken out the ram, pulled out the other processor and attempted to install a mps uniprocessor hal so I can upgrade. but it just hangs when it starts the installation portion. HAL is not taking. Is there a specific compaq hal I need?

Cheers
Mike
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,
Just a quick question, do you have any third party hardware in the system?? Do u have anything connected to the Serial ports or any other equipment other then just the barebones server?? If you do then please eliminate and do the basic configuration. There is no reason for the installation to halt.

Regards,
Mike_566

HI Sunil,
I have disconnected everything. Even removed the smart array 3200 and attached the disks onto the SCSI backplane. I did not use Smart Start but I will try it this morning. Will let you know.

Cheers
Mike
James Legg
Occasional Advisor

I'm having similair problems myself. I'm trying to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 Workstation onto the system (its for our new CCTV system and apparently the vendors say the software wont work with 2000/2003 server) I cant get it to go past the Starting Windows screen on setup, it just hangs. Which HAL are you using to install the system, as i cant even get past that point at the moment! I'm going to go and remove all the extra hardware (5300 smart array card, nics ect...) in the machine and try and see if i can persuade it to install to a single scsi drive. If anybody has any other bright ideas, please please let me know this is driving me nuts!
"is it working yet?, no, try turning it on."
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello James,
Now which server are you trying to install XP or W2K Pro?? For sure the drivers for SA5300 wont work with either XP or W2K Pro. Even though the workstation OS is not supported on our servers I have seen some folks getting success in installing the OS but then having some other issues. If you wanna go through the same stuff then be sure that you are upto it.

Regards,
James Legg
Occasional Advisor

Same as Mike, its an ML530 G1 again 2x Zeon 1Ghz it did have 2.5g of ram but have just took it down to 1gig for the install, as it came up with a memory parity error half way through the first attempt. I left it at the screen it was hanging on overnight last night and it seems to have managed to get past it (unless my boss changed it after i whent home). So it is up and booting off the Smart Array 5300 now, ( i used the drivers for 2000) Any idea which issues i might expect to have with it runnig workstation?, had a quick search through the forums and it mainly seems to be concering arrays, i will keep playing for now and see how it goes.
James Legg
Occasional Advisor

well its up, running XP pro, booting from the Smart Array 5300 card. Just seems to like taking its time installing the OS.
Mike_566

As far as I can see the ProLiant will not boot into the dual processor. I modified the boot.ini to load a checked hal for the MPS Multiprocessor hal but it shagged the system. Looks like a bios upgrade is in order. I also obtained a copy of Smart Start 6.4 and I'll try that.

Mike