1753491 Members
4725 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML G3 & 642 Disk array controller

Jose Jalil
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML G3 & 642 Disk array controller

When I try to run smartstart 7.10 in a ML G3 with an 642 disk array controller configured as boot device, smartstart says that this is not a supported boot device. What should I do?
10 REPLIES 10
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Verify if you see drives over POST or from F8, run Erase Utility, verify Cable from 6xx to SCSI backplane
Jose Jalil
Occasional Advisor

I can see the drives. I can format them. I can install Windows 2003 Server. But I cannot boot from the array. If there is a bootable CD in the IDE drive it loads the MBR from the CD and then load the OS from the array (configured as raid 5 with 3 disks).
What could be wrong?

Thanks
Jose
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Can you verify from F8 Sa 641 set as First one more time, set it as second after change as First. ? Any other Controller will act similar?
Jose Jalil
Occasional Advisor

The Smart Array is a 642. The configuration utility (F8) is version 2.30. When it boots is says is 64MB version 1.92
I've erased NVRAM and reconfigured the array as RAID 5 with 3, 36GB disks
I've also have an IDE disk as slave of the CD but it couldn't be used as boot device
I have an Storage Works DAT 40 in SCSI Port 2: SCSI ID 6
I've erased the NVRAM, and reconfigured the array. But still get the same message
What should I do?
Jose Jalil
Occasional Advisor

I've forgot to tell you that I could not set it as second in boot order because thats the place for the CD-ROM and cannot be moved. I've tried to put the array in third place and then first but it didn't work either.
The smart start CD recommends to perform a manual install pf the OS and it works fine (and fast !!) but it still doesn't boot from the array
Any suggestions ?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Firstly let├в s just take off HDD that you added to IDE with CD, none of only few server might support IDE HDD in Proliant Line, all other are not designed to Support HDD if SCSI based model (along you might get it working properly with Cs settings).
Take off HDD, ML G3 I assume 350 or 370? You should be able to change Boot Controller Order from F9 as you do have On board SCSI controller.
Simply let├в s play this way. (If HDD disconnected)
Connect SCSI Cable from SCSI cage to SCSI Onboard pull off SCSI Array Controller, install only one drive, and simulate O/s Installation win 2000 or 2003. See if it works fine.
Run erase utility and Install Sa 64x controller and Move cable from on board to 64x. Access to F9 change Boot Controller Order and still keep one Drive, from F8 create Array with Single Logical and Physical drive. Simulate O/s install with latest driver and Please Update firmware for Array controller use Maintained CD 2.36 would be latest
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

Firmware and driver
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/locate/69_5558.ht
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Jose Jalil
Occasional Advisor

I have an ML 330 and it does not have an embedded SCSI Controller. I've replaced the adaptec card with the 642, You mean that have to install the Adaptec card, format simulate the installation in one disk, reinstall the array and then install the OS in the array?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I see now... , try to update Firmware for Array controller and system ROM if necessary...
How you connect Drives hot plug cage or non-hot plug with Cable Select ? Also had you disconnected ATA Hard Drive from IDE controller?