Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML110 G2 sata raid setup

b26356
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML110 G2 sata raid setup

Hello HP Support forum.

I have a small problem with my HP Proliant ML110 G2 server. We a running software mirror on the C. drive, and had some problems with that. Therefore we want to change to running sata raid. Should be no problem..

The documentation states that:

“The SATA RAID feature supports the use of two hard drives. When the feature is enabled on a system with tree or more drives installed, the system only recognizes the two drives with the lowest drive number.”

I understand the SATA RAID use drive 0 and 1. But what happens with additional drives? I have 2 other SATA disks connected (should not be running RAID). Any ideas?

Regards,

Lars.
3 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML110 G2 sata raid setup

you wanna add a new controller card?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
RufusG
Frequent Advisor

I installed a hardware RAID Controller and added 2 extra SATA disks to create a RAID-1 store that is fail-safe. ( Today I would use the Promise TX2300 at about $70 ).

I only put the Operating System on to the original single disk.

I only put Data on to the RAID drive.

There are 4 advantages to this:

1. The hardware RAID drive starts the moment the power is on and is virtually independent of the rest of the computer. It has excellent RAID Array Manager software.

2. You could move the RAID disks and Controller card to another computer in minutes

3. The Windows Swap File and the Data are on 2 separate drives, so the overall system performance is improved.

4. You can rebuild and upgrade the Operating System or re-format the original single disk without disturbing your Data.

I keep working Data on my workstation and I have a backup utility to copy complete files and folders over to the RAID-1 drive on the server as they change.

- Belt & Braces
- LOCKS ( Lots of Copies Keep Safe )

This way I am storing personal Data and family photographs going back to 1984.

Not a very expensive solution and it is very very effective.

Hope that this helps you

b26356
Occasional Visitor

Hello.

Thank you for the response. For Karlo: No. I didn't plan on installing any additional controllers. I thought the server was cabal able of supporting sata raid (1)? But I wrong on this? This server is not cabal able of supporting sata raid 1?

RufusG. That's very interesting. Especially the memory configuration issue. I'm doing this job because the customer is complaining about decrease in performance. And prior to my involvement, he just installed/or changed his memory configuration. I will certainly check this out. Thank you.

Regards,

Lars.