1752717 Members
5353 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML110 G3 with HP SATA ALL RAID CONTROLLER

Tan Kia Sen
Advisor

Proliant ML110 G3 with HP SATA ALL RAID CONTROLLER

I am having problem setting up the above hardware in Windows 2003 SBS w/SP1. Although I've already downloaded the driver from HP website, version 4.2.1.7365.

As ML110 doesn't come with any smart start cd, manual setup has to be done to complete the installation with external USB FDD. During the initial setup, I am able to install the driver mentioned above after pressing F6.

The system will start to load all those necessary driver after putting in the SATA RAID driver. I've even managed to see my partitian and configured it (size partitian and format). However, the system will prompt for Windows Adaptec driver for Win 2000/XP and request me to insert it in drive A (when it try to start the process of file copying). Since the system doesn't come with any local FDD drive, so external USB FDD is used. The problem is, the system doesn't seem to detect the external USB FDD as A drive at all and there is no reponse when ENTER key is pressed.

I've also tested the installation with driver version 4.2.0.7344, but the outcome still the same.

I've managed to configure the RAID 5 with 3 80GB SATA HDD in the card bios with no problem at all.

Any idea what's happening ? Advice of any kind would be really appreciated.

Cheers & Rgds,
Kia Sen
6 REPLIES 6
Rolo

Re: Proliant ML110 G3 with HP SATA ALL RAID CONTROLLER

Try this driver:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23534.html

If you don├в t have a floppy unit you can either use an external USB 2.0 floppy disk or any regular 3 ├В┬╜ floppy disk unit connect to the IDE cable just for the installation.

Atte: Rolando Guevara
raadek
Honored Contributor

If nothing works then try slipstreaming your controller driver into Windows installation CD:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=985066

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Massimo_40
Advisor

I had the same problem, using a iomega USB FDD, try another FDD Drive, one that in Windows does not need to install drivers (I used a Freecom drive, and all goes well).
Hi
Tan Kia Sen
Advisor

I've managed to solve the problem. You'll need two type of hardware for the above setup, namely USB key drive and also external USB floppy drive.

Copy the identical RAID Card driver to both hardware and connected to the machine before power on. Go to USB section under BIOS to configured the USB floppy as floppy and key drive as forced floppy. Press F8 to select your RAID card as boot device after POST screen. Press F6 to load the driver while initializing for installation (Pls take note that system will confused and will show no driver found, just press enter key a number of time and it will load the driver automatically).

It should not prompt for driver again after this (pls do not disconnect anything yet until next reboot). The windows installation will continue until complete - follow screen for instruction.

I've managed to solve the problem with the above. Hoped this helps.

Cheers & Rgds,
Kia Sen
Jonas Eliasson

Thanks for the effort and the odd solution.
I sure helped me!

I dont know if it matters but when i saw you sugestion for solution i moved both floppy (Iomega USB FDD) and the give-away USB drive to the USB-ports on the back of the server due to the fact the the USB drive was a little too big to fit the front USB ports.

After the BIOS config of the USB devices i had to cold boot the machine, otherwise it would only detect the Iomega floppy, and not the USB drive.

But after thoose small issues, my installation is now running
Tan Kia Sen
Advisor

Jonas,

Not a problem at all, I feel happy to contribute my 2 cents worth. After all, this is the purpose of this forum :)

Cheers & Rgds,
Kia Sen