ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752809 Members
6056 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML110 G5 Storage Controller Software

Ramon Lozano

You can always integrate the driver you need using NLite. You'll need to use text mode.
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Thanks Ramon

This is what I eventually did.

Strange thing is, on my test machine (two mismatched disks, 3rd party 80 GB & the HP-supplied 250 GB) it worked first time, but when I went to the live environment (all HP 250s) it didn't :-(

At this point I did two things: rebuilt the RAID volume because I remember somewhere in the millions of threads I read on this topic, someone said you must build using "Clear" not one of the other options, and I had used one of the other options (another experiment gone wrong). So that took a couple more hours.

The other thing I did was re-create the slipstreamed install CD (1) with PnP mode driver, not Text mode, and (2) I did not select "unattended" install - somewhere in another thread someone pointed out a problem with an unattended nLite disk, but that was WinXP I think. Anyway decided not to take any more chances. All these "try this, and if it doesn't work try this, and if it doesn't work try this..." ad nauseam take lots and lots of time!

Anyhow long story short, my new nLite install CD worked like a wet dream.

Thanks to everyone who suggested it on this site, in this and all other threads - in fact if it hadn't been for one guy who said don't waste your time, use the USB floppy disk option, I would have done it long ago and been a lot happier camper.

So I'll say it again for the benefit of anyone who doubts: nLite ROCKS. I can't speak for any of the other benefits of nlite, such as unattended install or Windows feature removal, but for purposes of integrating a boot disk driver into the installation, it really really *works*. Marvellous, marvellous product. Highly recommended. The only thing unclear to me is the difference between text mode & PnP mode driver slipstreaming and what effect it could / should have - couldn't find anything in the documentation. Seems PnP works ok (in this case) - probably text would have too, but in some situations obviously there could be "issues".
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hey guys a general note .,,

nlite and winto flash can get you far
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

enjoy :)
Gino Liljeblad

Hi everybody!

Here might be a solution to some of your problems =)
----------------------
These instructions assume you are performing an installation from scratch, and that the disks hold no data that you wish to keep. FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL ERASE THE HARD DISKS! Back up any data you want to keep before starting.

1. Boot the machine and hit F10 to enter the BIOS configuration utility.
2. Press F9 and confirm the dialog to reset the BIOS to its factory default settings.
3. Under the "Main" menu, under "Boot Features", change "Virtual Install Disk" option to "Disabled".
4. Under the "Advanced" menu, select "Advanced Chipset Control" and set "SATA RAID Enable" to "Enabled".

THIS NEXT STEP IS CRITICAL. The Windows 2008 Server installer won't recognise the RAID array unless you do this.

5. Under the "Boot" menu, highlight "+ Hard Drive" and press <+> twice to move it to the top of the list.

6. Save and exit from the BIOS. The machine will reboot.
7. Press F8 when prompted to enter the RAID controller configuration utility.
8. Configure your RAID array according to taste.

IMPORTANT: If a RAID array is already configured DELETE IT and reconfigure, even if the existing configuration is the same as the one you want. The act of deleting the array clears the disk partition tables. If this isn't done, the currently installed operating system will boot instead of the install CD. This is an artifact of the requirement for the Hard Drive to be set first in the BIOS boot order, and is also the reason why it's not possible to perform an installation using these instructions without erasing the disks.

9. Go back into the BIOS and check the boot order again. I have found that sometimes the "removable device" entry gets moved to the top of the list after the RAID array has been configured. If this has happened, move "Hard Disk" back to the top of the list, save and exit.

10. Insert the installation media (I used the Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 DVD from the Microsoft Action Pack).
11. Follow the installation wizard steps up to the point at which you have to choose where to install Windows.
There is a single driver for the embedded SATA RAID card that you have to install - cp009517 (32bit) or cp009516 (64bit)

Download the appropriate one -

cp009517 from:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-dfb7fd312fb14d70b95b42c707
or

cp009516 from:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-89b748fe8b0b4011b87a63053d

Once downloaded, the exe file needs to be run and extracted preferably into a new folder on a USB stick. You do not have to purchase this from HP - any USB stick will do.

12. Insert the USB stick with this driver on it, and click "load driver".

13. Click "Browse" and navigate to the folder on the USB stick where you extracted the driver to.

14. For 32bit, select "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID (c:\path\to\cp009517\aarachi.inf) - this should be the only entry if you have checked "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer".

For 64bit, select "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID (c:\path\to\cp009516\aarachi.inf) - this should be the only entry if you have checked "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer".

15. Click next, and "OK" on the subsequent "load driver" dialog.

When you return to the "Where do you want to install windows" screen, it will look exactly as it did the first time (the disks will not appear in the list). However the driver will have been loaded into memory and will get copied to the system directory when the OS installs.

16. Back at the "where do you want to install windows" screen, you should now have a new disk entry: "Disk 1 Unallocated Space". Select this entry and click Next.

All being well, Windows should now install. The installer will use the 32bit disk drivers to install Windows, but will also copy the 64bit drivers to the system drive.

The machine will reboot automatically when installation is complete. Remove your USB stick when this happens. If you don't remove the USB stick in time you may need to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reset the machine after it reboots.

Ambrish Kumar

Thanks a lot Mr Line Lilgebald. Your instructions were perfect. Worked like magic.
Gino Liljeblad

No problemo Mr.Kumar :)
Panatronic

one day I can not find the solution. Gino thanks for the valuable solution.

Excuse my English. Are Italian.
Martin Tillbrook
Occasional Visitor

I know this is an old thread but its just helped me out enormously!

I have a DL320 G5p and am trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on it. None of the 2008 drivers were working for picking up the RAID controller but Ken mentioned in his post about using the 2003 drivers (64bit). This working perfectly for me, I can't believe it!!

Thank you so much for the post!
Rajesh_ck

Hi,

Please let me know the link for downloading storage controller software for ML110 G5 to install windows 2012 server.

Rajesh