cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML110 G5 TWO Unknown Devices

Pete Perry
Advisor

Proliant ML110 G5 TWO Unknown Devices

I installed the new Proliant ML110 G5 server for a customer with Windows Small Business 2003 R2. There are two unknown devices in Device Manager. I cleared one with the Lights Out Null driver just as always with G3 severs. There is still one remaining unknown device of which I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know?
38 REPLIES
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant ML110 G5 TWO Unknown Devices

Pete Perry
Advisor

Sorry I forget to mention this in my first post but I have in installed the chipset drivers to no avail. Should I do so again?
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Yes you could try that again!!

You could also try the following steps

Device Manager>Uninstall the driver>Scan for Hardware changes>check what is the name of the hardware if comes up witn anything
Pete Perry
Advisor

I installed the 8.3.1.1009 chipset drivers again. It didn't work. I also uninstalled the device and then did a scan for devices afterwards as well, again to no avail.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Is there is any third party hardware in the server ?
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Also which storage controller you are using on this server

There are 2 options : SAS \ SATA

If you are using SAS cotnroller then try to disable embedded SATA controller in BIOS.

Pete Perry
Advisor

I'm using the embedded SATA controller configured as RAID 1. The only device I added was a modem and that appears fine in device manager. Since I'm using the embedded SATA controller, is it something to do with SAS?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the unknown device has an specific name or it is just unknown device in the device Manager?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Pete Perry
Advisor

Just "Unknown Device"
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

let me ask you main components are recognized in Device manager I mean? CPU, USB, video, NIC card, ...??

also you have the latest updates in that Windows 2003?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327756/en-us

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I meant latest Service Pack for R2 is installed?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb229701.aspx

regards
Pete Perry
Advisor

All the general compoments (NIC, video, RAID, etc.) are recognized and funtioning. It's a new installation so I have every service pack (including SP2) and update installed. In fact the server is functioning fine and there are no errors in the event logs.

I have a theory the OS is seeing a new compoment on the motherboard on the G5's that needs a Null driver just as the Lights Out when the module is not installed. Perhaps the "HP 4/8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID and SCxxGe?"
Pete Perry
Advisor

Please note in my initial posting I had two unknown deives, one being the HP NULL IPMI Controller of which I installed the driver. I'm still left with one unknown.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Pete Perry
Advisor

I've updated the BIOS as well. It was the first thing I did when I setup the server.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Please double click on the "Unknown device" and tell what exactly comes up as far as the details are concerned
Pete Perry
Advisor

ACPI\HPI0002\0
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the information!

Please boot into SAFE MODE and delete\uninstall the entry "Unknow device" from the device manager and reboot the server.

This shoud automatically install the driver. Try to scan for hardware changes as well if the driver is not installed automatically.
Pete Perry
Advisor

Thanks, I'll try that. However, I won't be at the customer's site for several days now. I'll respond back once I do.

May I ask what is the deivce that's not installing the driver correctly?
seehigh
Advisor

Ok the device is:

http://www.acpi.info/

check it out !!!

Any UPS connected by serial port ?

Or kill any Power manager app !
Pete Perry
Advisor

I booted in Safe Mode, removed the unknown device, rebooted normally, the device was discovered again but no drivers were installed again. Still Unknown Device.

In response to your previous post, I have a APC Smart-UPS 1500 connected to the server using USB, not serial. I have the APC PowerChute app installed.
Steve Whitmore
Occasional Contributor

I am having the exact same problem with a new installation of Windows 2003 Server R2 on a Proliant ML110 G5. I have tried all the suggestions listed here so far and still have the Unknown Device problem in Device Manager. Any help would be much appreciated.
Pete Perry
Advisor

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm confident it's some embedded device on the system board.

I also noticed there's no Storage Manager app. I tried the one for the G4 but it doesn't recognize the RAID controller.