5791 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML110 G5 install woes...

Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Proliant ML110 G5 install woes...

Hi!

I'm trying to set up a reasonably 'stock' ML110 G5 server.
(I have 2 x 250GB HDDs and an ILO card in it)

First problem is that the 'Easy Set-Up' CD doesn't support the onboard SATA RAID controller, only and will only accept it as a normal SATA controller. (Shame on you HP)

That I can get past by either Easy-Start with one HDD, then go for RAID1 afterwards, or I can skip the UnEasy Start and just boot with Win2003 R2 (32bit) CD after RAID1 the drives...

Except...
Win2003 doesn't recognise the network card, and doesn't ask for a driver, either(same mess as with W2K), so it's a bit of a bitch to get it on the net and into AD and the correct domain...

Also, something I can live with... Barely...

The REAL problem occurs after the UnEasy Start CD has run its course, the files has been copied and it has rebooted, the Win2003 install starts properly.
It does some file copying, then gives the message 'Starting Windows', it checks the disk and throws up a progress bar.
Then it gives an error message and states it can't copy a file 'P3.sys'.

I've used the EXACT SAME CD's as when I set up another ML110 G5 two months ago.

I suspect that there's a difference in BIOS as to how SATA HDDs are handled, possibly something with DMA-mode, 'Legacy' SATA modes or something like that.

anyone else run into this, or have an idea of what I can try?
(Comparing to the other server is not an option as there's a 5hour trip to the remote site where it's located... And that one doesn't have an ILO card, either... Unfortunately)

Also, I've tried to use either the first, the second or both(RAID1) drives, with or without ILO card installed...
8 REPLIES 8
siny
Occasional Advisor

Try to slipstream the chipset drivers into your Win2003 media using Nlite. Should do the trick for both your onboard SATA RAID and network drivers.

I did not encounter this after the drivers integration. Just download all storage controllers related drivers on the ML110 g5 webpage.

Regards
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

If it was the RAID drivers that was the problem, shouldn't it have worked when NOT using the controller in RAID mode?

And the 2003 CD worked on the previous server, which is of the same model and specs.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

I thought 'why not download the SATA array drivers and use the F6 option?'...

On the first attempt, W2003 never found the bl**dy USB-floppy...

Messed about in the BIOS(need to press F10 BEFORE the 'press F10' message appears, or it'll be too late. ) and found a 'Virtual Install Disk' which I disabled...

Now Windows install found the floppy after the F6 prompt...
Partitioned (40GB C: ) and formatted(NTFS, quick), then it worked for a bit again...
And asked me to insert the 'Adaptec SATA Raid' disk in A: and to press ENTER...

Except, nothing happens when I press ENTER.
No hint of it even trying to access the floppy.

I guess I could try 'slipstreaming', but that's a lot of work for just one bloody server.

Why the F! doesn't the 'UnEasy Fart-Up CD' support SATA RAID, when SATA RAID is one of this model's major advantages?
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Well...

I tried swapping out the old, white PS/2 keyboard with a more modern USB keyboard...

Then it wouldn't recognise the USB-floppy AT ALL. 'No device' the Win install program reported.(Or something to that effect)

TimJCasey

I am having exactly the same problem as you detail, at the Windows F6 prompt and I'm hoping I don't do the BIOS thing and then have the Windows build F6 instance work and a later one fail as you seem to indicate happened to you. HP apparently say that the ILO Virtual Floppy option can be used but I don't have an ILO installed and at A$350 won't be getting one. This thread doesn't actually state what your final solution was and I am guessing there was one given the date of the last post.

I also tried the HP Utility for creating a floppy/CD type bootable drive from an img type file on a USB stick but without success.

I'll be trying the BIOS change for the USB floppy tonight and then probably the Nlite approach to cut another Windows CD if still in trouble. HP do some things very well but they also do some things REALLY very badly.

I'd appreciate if you could post your final solution.
u84823
Regular Advisor

Try disabling AHCI in the BIOS.
TimJCasey

As it turned out by far the easiest solution was just to download Nlite and slipstream the SATA RAID drivers downloaded from the HP website into a new CD. It appears that the Virtual Install Disk has to be disabled otherwise you get a BSOD during the early part of the install.

Thanks HP for not putting these drivers into your NOT-Easy Start CD and for making sure that a USB Floppy Drive doesn't work.

Maybe the paperwork that comes with the server should be a little more specific about what should be done, and maybe the links to the HP website quoted on the paperwork that does come with the server should actually work.
u84823
Regular Advisor

HP seem to be loosing the plot on servers.

For example their support folk still don't realise you need BBWC for RAID on ESXi (comes up all the time on vmware communities), giving customers ~2MB/s write speed without it.

They have flawed drivers for the ML115 G5 on their download site which provide BSOD on that server when writing to optical media, which despite being notified of and coming up on here several times they still haven't removed.

And the Windows installation issues on all ML1xx machines which again come up all the time.

It's a poor show from a once great leader in this area.