ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748139 Members
4172 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML110 G6 - Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

JJones312
Advisor

Proliant ML110 G6 - Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

Recently purchased a HP ML110 G6 server for use at home as a test server, in order to practice for a few M$ certifications. The server is the first HP server I've worked with and I've run into a issue I'm unable to resolve.

I'm attempting to install Window Server 2008 "Enterprise" and receive the following error after selecting the disk to install to. **note these version of windows is a trail version that came with self-pace training kit**

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

Here are the steps that lead me to that point.
1. Power up and insert the HP Easy Setup CD "SmartStart??"
2. Select langauge / keyboard type
3. Terms yes
4. Select operation, select "install"
5. Storage controller indicates "Disk 1: 149GB" select next
6. Select Retail Media and Windows Server 2008x32 Enterprise
7. Defaults with DVD-ROM media and Flat Files, select next
8. Selected boot partition size
9. Enter in product setup (i.e computer name, admin password, etc.
10. starts the process then stops and asks for OS CD.
11. Copies files and then on 2nd step gives error.

I've read a couple other posts, for DL380 G5, indicating the following setups:
"""* HP tech had me boot into the BIOS (RBSU) and go to Advanced Options --> Restore Default Settings\Erase Boot Partition.
* Once i pressed enter on that, the server rebooted on its own.
* While booting, i went into the RAID controller (ORCA) and deleted then recreated the logical partitions.
* Once i did this, i ran the windows 2008 install on its own, without using Smart Start, and...
* The installation succeeded!!""""

I didn't want to try yet because its a new server and different model.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, as I'm new to HP server and some what new to system administration.
7 REPLIES 7
JJones312
Advisor

Re: Proliant ML110 G6 - Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

Also, a side question on the ML110 G6. I noticed during the smartstart, Windows 7 Pro was not listed. Is it possible to install Windows 7 Pro on the server? That way can run VirtualPC for testing purposes and playing around with Windows server platforms.
JJones312
Advisor

Update:

1. Updated BIOS to Version 0270610 (6/21/2010)
2. Attempted following steps in original post, no luck
3. Tried Server 08 install directly from CD/DVD, same issue.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

There have been issues with Smart Start and Server 2008. We don't use it anymore. When we build our 2008 servers, after the OS install, we use the ProLiant Support pack to install software and firmware.
JJones312
Advisor

If I understand right you install OS manually instead of using SmartStart? I did attempt a manual install from CD/DVD of the Server Enterprise 2008 and received the same message.

Also, during research on HP, I did notice the ML110 uses the HP Easy Set-up CD and not smartstart, although they appear to be basically the same. I downloaded and used the latest version 2.30(b) and still ran into the same error/issue.

For kicks, I tried to do a install of Windows 7 on the ML110 G6 server and guess what... it installed just fine. Although I do think a few drivers may be lacking.

I'm really wanting to get server 2008 installed, since I'm not sure Windows 7 will allow me to take advantage of features the Proliant server offers.

No other potential solutions or advice on tackling the install issue??
JJones312
Advisor

Looks like I've gotten this fixed and up and running with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise.

After the Windows 7 install I decided to attempt the Server 2008 install and at the screen for select of partition I performed the following to remove the System Reserved partition created by windows 7.

Diskpart
- List disk
- select disk 0
- clean
- create partition primary
- select partition 1
- active
- format fs=ntfs

Once completed, I canceled out of the install and inserted the HP Easy Set-up CD and started the install up again using easy setup.

Installed and completed just fine with HP Management Agents installed and working. Well working to a point.. I did notice it was unable to determine memory on the system.

So it looks like I'm good for my 120 days, so better get cracking on my test reviews/practice exams and case studie, so i can pass a few certs for M$.

JJones312
Advisor

closing
Kia9009

I've just purchased a ML110 G6 and I've tried to install windows 7 but i have been unsuccessful, could you help me and explain how you was able to install windows 7 on your machine?? thanks.