108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML110 problems with embedded SATA RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
DNash
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML110 problems with embedded SATA RAID

I am installing W2K3 server 32 on a new ML110 G5. In addition to the 160GB drive that came with it I put in two Seagate 1.5TB 5900 SATA that I want to mirror. I downloaded the latest Easy Set-up CD from HP's site. However it did not see any RAID conrtollers after booting. I disabled the SATA RAID in the BIOS and installed Server 2003 on the 160GB drive and applied all patches. I noticed a BIOS update to 10/09/2009 on HP and update the ML110, hopeing that the RAID would be improved. What happened was the main Fan continued to run on high!! From this forum I found I needed to also update the iLO firmware to 3.11, even though i did not have a iLO card. This fixed the loud fan problem.
But if I enable SATA RAID in the BIOS the ML110 blue-screens on bootup. If I disable SATA RAID server 2003 boots up OK and I can see all disks.
The Easy Set-up CD boots ok with Enabled Raid but still does not find any RAID controllers.
The info listed when RAID is inabled is: "HP Embedded RAID Controller SATA - B2235 V5.0-0" and an Adaptec copyright (odd because I thought it was Intel!).
I don't mind re installing server 2003, but I am not sure what driver to use and where I would get it. And how would I install it.
I may forget about the onboard RAID and use Dynamic disks!
4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant ML110 problems with embedded SATA RAID

if you search through the forum, you'll find several entries with answers to your questions
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
DNash
Occasional Contributor

After many searches of these and other forums, I found that the Easy Set-up CDs are the problem. If I enable SATA RAID in the BIOS and install Sever 2003 with the Microsoft install CD the RAID disks are recognized OK. So I blew away the Dynamic disks. Setup RAID 1 on the 2 1.5TB disks and installed W2K3 on the 160GB drive that came with the ML110.
But now I wonder if I have the best driver for the SATA. In device manager it is listed as 2 devices:
Adaptec Processor Device(Pseudo) and Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID
The driver is: aaraici.Sys 1.4.17010.0 adaptec
Should I leave well enough alone or try to update to anther driver?
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Nash,

HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Server series - Setting Up the Installation of Microsoft Windows Server Using the Embedded SATA Controller

Enabling SATA RAID functionality in the BIOS Setup Utility:
1. Boot the server, and then press F10 to enter the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU).
2. Go to the Advanced tab.
3. Enter the Advance Chipset Control .
4. Set up the SATA as Enable and the SATA RAID as Enable .
5. Press F10 , Save and Exit .
6. Reboot the server.
7. During post, f8 will now show up for the embedded SATA setup.
Creating the RAID volume:
1. Enter the Array Configuration Utility.
2. Enter Create array .
3. Create the raid volume. Select the Hard Drives .
4. Choose RAID 1 , and enter Array Label , Create RAID Via as Quick Init .
5. Exit the SATA setup.
Using the driver while installing Microsoft Windows Server 2003:
1. Download from HP Embedded G5 SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&collectionId=MTX-bbb4f7fcf9bc4ade

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.

[Moderator edit: Updated the link.]

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

DNash
Occasional Contributor

OK!!
I downloaded the driver recomended. When I clicked on the exe, it told me driver was already installed. I extracted the data and did a driver update from Device Manager. All looks good.
I think I understand what is going on now.