cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML115 boot from IDE HDD

Luke Bartholomew
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML115 boot from IDE HDD

I have a ML115 setup with Windows Server 2003, 4 x 500GB SATA HDD configured with RAID-5 and partitioned in 2 as drives C (Windows) and D (Data). This has been working excellent for over 1 year until yesterday.

Basically the Windows Server 2003 OS stopped working and unable to boot. I want to get a complete backup of my data on partition D before I attempt to re-install the OS on partition C.

After considering the options and working through several possible solutions I finally tried adding an extra IDE HDD 250GB to install a new OS and manage the backup. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to boot from the newly installed IDE HDD. I have adjusted the settings in the BIOS to disable the boot from the SATA Raid, but every time it will automatically default to the SATA drives and ignore the IDE drive. Is there something that I'm missing? Maybe a jumper setting on the motherboard or drive?

Any help much appreciated.
6 REPLIES
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant ML115 boot from IDE HDD

1- First check the if the raid array is ok on the array configuration on the BIOS. If the array is failed or broken, you will not be able to see any partition since they are configured on the same RAID 5 and there is nothing you can do to recover this lost data.

2- Second disabling the embedded SATA on the BIOS and installing the OS on a single drive without an array configured is not a good idea, since if you disable the embedded sata it will not detect the logical drive the RAID 5, so you will not see any partition.
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Luke,

The IDE port on this server supports only DVD/CD and does not support IDE HDD.

You could use a usb HDD to install a new OS and recover data or as you have mentioned that all data is in D partition, you could reinstall OS in C partition without issues and the data would be intact in D partition.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Raj.
Luke Bartholomew
Occasional Visitor

The RAID-5 array is still intact, I used NTFSDOS to boot and check the partition and the files are still on partition D (data). It seems to be only partition C (windows) that has the problem.

If I allow the server to boot, it will startup Windows Server 2003 and then run CHKDISK it will stall and hang, if I ignore CHKDISK it will continue to load Windows and then finally blue screen.

What I am trying to do it recover my data from D without actually doing anything to the RAID-5 array because I don't want to risk losing any data. The idea of installing Windows Server 2003 on the extra IDE HDD will allow me to do this, but for some reason I can't get it to boot from the IDE drive. The system always boots from the SATA RAID-5 drives (partition C) even if I disable it in the bios.

Any ideas?
Luke Bartholomew
Occasional Visitor

Hi Raj

That's strange that the IDE controller will only support the CD/DVD drive. I added the IDE HDD to the system and on boot it shows as Primary Master IDE and the DVD drive shows as Slave IDE which I was happy to see. So I started to boot from the Windows Server 2003 CD, after the loading the initial files it gave me the option to format and install the OS on the new IDE HDD I just installed assiging it drive letter F. I did this and after that process was complete I set the boot order in the bios, removing the SATA drives from the boot devices and adding the new IDE HDD as primary boot device.

Do you have any more information that shows that the IDE HDD cannot be used? If I can't manage to work out a way to get it to boot from the IDE HDD then I may have to bite the bullet and re-install on drive C.

Thanks
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Luke,

As I know on this server we will not be able to boot from an IDE HDD. I was not able to find any document for your.

As you have and IDE HDD, the only option I see is to reinstall OS in the C partition.

Nothing much could be done. No option in BIOS or no jumper settings available :(

Regards,
Raj.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

If you OS is on the C:/ partition and the data on D:/ Why don't you try to run a windows repair with the windows media, have you tried safe mode?