ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753620 Members
6501 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML150 G2 - HP SATA Drives only?

Josh Bowles

Proliant ML150 G2 - HP SATA Drives only?

I had planned on using 3rd party SATA drives in my ML150 due to HP's pricing and minimal warranty on their hard drives. According to Seagate support and HP support, HP designed this server so that customers have to purchase the SATA hard drives from HP. The drive cage is the problem. No one makes a drive to fit the drive cage that I can find and HP doesn't make a "drive carrier" for 3rd party drives. Does anyone have any recommendations? We're a small company on a very limited budget, so 3rd party is the only option for us.

p.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum Moderator

12 REPLIES 12
e4services
Honored Contributor

Josh,

We sure would like to look into it. I checked out the operators manual, the carrier look alot like the SCSI carrier and wonder if it would not work.

Of course I do not know what you consider as reasonable price for you.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Josh Bowles

I appreciate your comments. I'll check into the SCSI carrier to see if it might work. If you find anything definitive, please let me know.
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Josh,

What 3rd party SATA dives are you considering? I just spec'd a ML150 G2 as well and am planning the same - and use Western Digital Raptors (73GB, 10K rpm) - which have 5 year warranties.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Josh Bowles

I actually went ahead and purchased Seagate Barracuda 7200 drives (part# ST3250823AS). I installed them temporarily to see if they were recognized, and all appears to be fine. They were recognized by the server, so I think once I get Windows on it, they'll work out fine. I just have to find a suitable carrier for them. The only part # I could ever get out of HP was 373211-001, but of course this isn't a valid number according to HP Parts. If I happen to find a part, I'll post it.
Humphrey Drummond

I bought a couple of cheapest 80GB drives and replaced them with 400GB Hitachi Deskstars just to get the mounts. I have had no end of trouble with the machine so couldn't recommmend it. In fact we are about to buy another machine already configured so that we stop work on this one.
Dusten

You can get the part that you are asking for. It cost about $45USD. I found it at derivetech.com/212-363-1111. My sales rep is Mr. Phan, his ext. 224. Hope this helps.
Robert Dobalina
Valued Contributor

Compaq had originally sold drive carriers for their WU and below scsi drives. The problem was that people were placing cheap drives in the carriers and reselling as Compaq. This led to a number of issues as Compaq loads its own firmware on its drives and there were performance and management issues. Compaq then decided not to make drive carriers available for U2 and above. This has carried over to Hp. The pn# given is a spare # for the tray. It might work using someone else's drive but then again it might not. I know cost is a concern but if there a periodic issues how much does time\labor cost?
Michael James_2
Occasional Advisor

I found that part number and because we are an HP Service Center, we can order it. Just call us at 808-843-1000 x103 and ask for Michael. Please reference the HP Forum.
The price will be $42.00 including shipping to the US (all of the states, not just the continental US). Should be getting a few of them in in the next day or two.
Ben Thrum

Hi all,

Found the part Number. there are a few but this one actually works.

hp Part #373211-001

Its for a ML 150 sata cage, but its the same as drive carriers for the ml110 series/generation 1 and up.

Took me hours on the phone and internet to sort this out.