ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748255 Members
3911 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML150 G2 - HP SATA Drives only?

Michael James_2
Occasional Advisor

I wish you'd just called us, we've been shipping them all over the US. Orders in by 3:00 east coast time are usually shipping the same day and arriving next day. We ran into one inventory shortage, during late December, but that was the only delay we've had.
Josh Bowles

I'm going to close this thread. Looks like no one's posting except for those seeking FREE ADVERTISING. My Seagates have been running wonderfully and error free for about 10 months now . I ended up modifying the blanks that came with the server as trays for the Seagates. I know, this sounds like "rigging it up", but being a non-profit organization and having such a limited budget, you have to do the best with what you have. I'm happy with the solution I came up with, but I do wish HP wouldn't do this to their customers. There's no sense in DEMANDING use of their hard drives...or any add-on for that matter.
Mark Teranishi

I did the same "cost effective" approach but in the end I recommend future purchasers to just get the HP configured systems. Other than cost or for any known compatibility problems, if the HP system can do the job for you then use their configured/tested system. Try to minimize any custom changes.

Here was my adventure:
We bought a single 80gb drive, ML150 G2 with no raid support. We bought a 3Ware 8000 series SATA Raid card, and two Western Digital 72gb 10k drives. I trust 3Ware for linux raid support.

First problem, the included HP SATA card is connected to the drive bay cage on a secondary card which covers the whole back of the HD cage so it can support pluggable HD trays. If you want to insert your own 3rd party raid card, you need to remove both of these cards.

Second problem, you think you can just add the included HD rails to your HD and insert them in the HD cage. No, the combined width of the HD and rails is too wide to fit. Its probably made this way so you need a HP HD tray.

In the end I got the drives into the cage although not as secure as a HD tray. I attached all the SATA and 4 pin power. There is no SATA power since these orignally came from the HP SATA card.

Setup of 3Ware and Centos 4.2 Server was easy after that. Network, drives, graphic were all recognized by Centos. The system is stable as like all my other Centos systems, although not on a dedicated server like this one. Stress testing also showed no problems.

Looking back I should have bought 2 HP 80gb drives and the HP SATA Raid card. Install my Centos with the HP linux driver and test that out first.

If that didn't work well, then add the 3Ware card and test with the HP drives.

If that also didn't work well do the final 3ware to my WD drives.

I am very happy with this system, except I am looking for an extra HP HD tray.