1748219 Members
4637 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML150 G5 Graphics Card for Virtualization

Spencer Bizzell

Proliant ML150 G5 Graphics Card for Virtualization

Hi Guys,

I am looking at a ML150 G5 for running a XenServer (citrix) virtualization server. We will be running Server 2008 and a few Windows XP/Vista Installs with Autocad Design for remote users.

I feel that a graphics card will be needed on the ML 150 G5 to give decent performance on the CAD users on Windows XP/Vista and wanted to find out what card is supported and any other advise for this setup.

We are doing this as a proof of concept and will then be rolling out many more similar systems as it is cropping up as a vital requirement in the Engineering business to be able to remote in and work on projects. Terminal server is not an option as it is not supported by Autcad and also does not use resources as well as VM's do.

Thanks,

Spencer
5 REPLIES 5
Spencer Bizzell

Hi Guys,

Please can someone help me and let me know what graphics card I can fit into this server. I have called our local HP centre in South Africa about 5 times and I am still waiting for them to come back to me with an answer.

I just want a grphics card with 256 or 512 mb or memory. 3D capabitlies does not really mater, it is more for 2D drafting.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Thanks,

Spencer
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

HP has some Proliants where they list optional graphic cards (eg. DL160 G5). In theory, those should work here also.....IF this server had an x16 PCIe slot, which this server doesn't.

I would say almost any mainstream x8 card you can find should be able to work, but unfortunately HP is not offering support for any on this server.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Spencer Bizzell

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply.
I have been looking around and have been battling to find 8x PCIX graphics cards. We are an IT retailer and I have checked with all our suppliers and no one has one.

I have read the some PCIX 8x slots allow you to plug in PCIX 16x cards. Is this true with this server or can you only plug in an 8x Card.

Thanks,

Spencer
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

No. I don't believe x16 adapters will work in x8 slots in this server. This server actually has 5 x8 slots, but only 2 of them operate at x8 speeds. The other 3 operate at x4 speeds. It's possible you were reading about something similar (x16 slot, but only operating at x8).

I did run across something called a lane converter x8 slot to x16 (allowing for the use of a x16 video adapter). I don't have any experience with this, so I can't say what results you will have:
http://www.adexelec.com/pciexp.htm
Search for PEXP16-SX-16/8 on that page.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Nicolas Cote

Hi,

I have a ML350 G4p and it only have PCIe 4x slots. I successfully put an PCIe 1x video card inside with no problem.

I put the PNY Quadro 290 x1.

http://www2.pny.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-290-x1-P2534C37.aspx