4914 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant ML150 Rear Fan Replacement does not work

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marcelo Farall

Proliant ML150 Rear Fan Replacement does not work

During POST my system displayed something like this: “Rear fan not working or disconnected, press F1 to continue or F10 to setup”

I verified the fan and it doesn’t work, so I followed the procedures, ordered a rear fan spare and replaced it.

My surprise was that the new spare doesn’t work either.

Any idea?
22 REPLIES 22
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML150 Rear Fan Replacement does not work

hi

ml150 generation?

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Marcelo Farall

Is a Proliant ML150 G2
Robin Wong

Hi,

I am having the same problem too, any solutions?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Was it 372787-001 that you got?
How is the cable and connector looking?

Any dirt/broken pins that might be causing this?
Prabhu Raj
Frequent Advisor

The replacement received mighty be faulty. re-indent another fan.
Marcelo Farall

We have change the spare 3 times, because we were thinking it might be a fortuitous problem.

About the connector, the first fan came without terminals, then we used the connector of the "bad one". The other two spares came as the original part.

Today I am working with the first spare that came without terminals. If you help spinning it manualy, it starts and runs slowly and dosen't stop. If you reset the system it continious working and dosen't stop neither, so the system doesn't detect a fan problem.
Patrick O'Connell

Hi, All,

I am having the same problem trying to fix a customers same issue, POST says rear fan failed or disconnected.

action so far: 2 systemboards, 3 fans, PSU, all pci options out, cd rom/tape drive disconnected, memory eliminated, cpu replaced,latest firmware confirmed.

System still says rear system fan failed or disconnected.

System is 1 cpu so we can run the rear fan (slower) from the cpu fan connector,(difficult because the cable wont reach so we have 'piggy backed' another rear fan to the original in place, although it gives the same post message, the server still boots and works, but is not an ideal situation!.

Any gurus out there know a fix because its bugging the customer and me!.

Best Regards Pat.
Morton  Associates

I am in the same situation, in that one day the server stopped running and during POST my system also displayed: â Rear fan not working or disconnected, press F1 to continue or F10 to setupâ

A few things are noteworthy. First, is that it might not be a broken fan, but instead, power is not making it to the rear fan 3 pin connection.

Now for the fellow that has replaced the motherboard - this seems to indicate that you are either extremely unlucky, HP is manufacturing broken motherboards - OR - this is some kind of firmware issue, possibly time related.

From what the other poster said about connecting the 3 pin to the CPU 3 pin - it may not run as fast as desired. I don't know...my server has 2 CPU's.

My suggestion to anyone in this situation is to power down the server, and connect the fan (via the white capped 3 pin connector) at the location that the front fan is connected to see, if indeed, the fan is broken. If it works, the fan is not broken obviously.

Now - as far as that being a semi permanent solution, there is one problem, in that the wire is not long enough to reach. I'm going to look at Fry's to see if I can find a 3 pin extension at least a foot long.

What I am looking for is 1/2 shown in this picture:

http://www.dansdata.com/images/coolercomp/ttv9fan520.jpg

In the wire on the right, there are two white caps. The one on the bottom will accept the 3 pin fan connection that comes a part of the fan. I want to connect it to that and the other end to have the same connection that comes with the fan.

If I have a wire like this, that is a foot long, I can connect the fan and place it where it belongs inside the server.

I want to do this first, because the rear fan is much more robust compared to the front fan.

Next, I want to see if there is any way to get power to another 12 volt 3 pin connection so I can run my front fan.

I can imagine using one of the PCI slots, if a PCI card can give me 3 pin 12 volt power. I'm not certain at all if such a thing as a hard drive power female connection to 3 pin male connection exists.

I'll keep you all posted.

Ultimately - doing the above is not a perfect solution, if the power goes out and the computer comes on afterwards, it will halt at the message. Maybe I can disable that in the BIOS, but then if there is another problem, I won't be notified.

Extra info about my fan order:

I didn't think to take my own advice above, and I ordered another fan yesterday and asked for expedited shipping. To my surprise, I received it the next morning before 10:00, after having made the order at 1:45 PM the day before. (Note: I work in Palo Alto maybe 5 miles from HP, so it may differ.)
Morton  Associates
Solution

I was able to resolve the issue with the only remaining problem is that on reboot, we will get a warning about rear fan failure.

The rear fan is in fact, running.

I went to Fry's and bought, for $2.99 a PAC Link "Premium Computer Cables" 18" DC Fan Wire EXT 4P-3P 5V Plu# 2585841 PA-FANWX.

Its a splitter, so you plug the splitter into the three pin mother board connection where the front fan is connected. Plug the front fan into one of the connections and the rear fan into the other.

I've noticed no decrease in fan speed.