1748051 Members
5103 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML150 USB Boot Problem

Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML150 USB Boot Problem

My Proliant ML150 G3 is set to boot to USB.
I have updated the BIOS to the most current version.
When I created a "bootable ROMPaq USB Key" off the bios upgrade package the server is able to boot off the 512Meg Thumb.
I have a 4Gig Thumb with a Linux boot OS on it.
The thumb will boot from 3 other types of computers I have but when this thumb is placed in the ML150 it will not boot. I simply get an error message "Operating System not Found"

Does the ML150 only boot from "bootable ROMPaq USB Key" type USB sticks or does the ML150 have a problem booting from Linux bootable USB device?

6 REPLIES 6
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML150 USB Boot Problem

Hello,
Not all operating systems support USB drive key or USB devices. Check with the operating system vendor to determine if that specific OS supports USB devices. There are different levels of support by the vendor. Some operating systems load a USB driver once the OS installation is complete and the kernel has loaded. Other operating systems include support for use of USB devices during installation.

Regards.
Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

The USB in question is the ESX 3i Thumb. Its made to boot from this thumb drive but for some reason this one server, "HP Proliant ML150" will not boot from it but almost all the others will.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the quick responce.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

TO be Specific, I personally don't think this can be done. However, I would be interested to know if someone has achieved this & how.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Does those server Come under this list ?
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html
Then perhaps its justified. ML150 is Missing !

Regards.

ISSPE

There are 2 different issues that can cause this problem. The first is that not all USB devices are exactly alike (as opposed to say, all floppy drives must adhere to a fixed spec). USB devices often have differences that need special attention in the BIOS. The USB devices tested on the ML150G3 were only the most common in use at the time of launch, and one of the devices not tested on this platform was the 3i Thumb. Another issue is that 4G devices were not supported for booting at the time of launch. I have a PNY 4G that doesn't boot, but all other USB devices I have from 128M - 1G will boot. I suggest changing the brand of your USB and using 1G or smaller if you want to make sure that your USB will boot. If you have special needs for your 3i device to boot, you are welcome to escalate the issue through Warranty Service.
Nicholas Farmer
Occasional Advisor

The 4gig thumb works in every machine but the ML150. I was able to find a work around so Ill just remember in the future that booting from a thumb is not a first option when dealing with the ML150s. The Bios upgrade stated that it fixed the USB boot support but then you must research the caveats.

Thank you all for your responces.

I do not like dealing with work arounds but when you need something to work like you want it, you must.