1748280 Members
4152 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML310 USB

IANMC_1

Proliant ML310 USB

Hi
I have just installed a Proliant ML310 Server running Win2k SBS and all is well until I try to attach an ADSL USB modem. The Server will not boot with the USB connection attached!! ( Will Boot without the USB modem attached and I can add the USB modem after the OS is loaded and works OK) After some investigation on Compaq FAQs it was suggested to disable the PCI USB interface as it is only for Legacy support and the OS will install the USB device.. Not the case! the OS does not see the USB controller at all and will not load the Device. Has anyone a suggestion for this Catch 22 teaser. I know I could possibly install an extra NIC and exchange the USB modem but at a COST $$$$ (64bit PCI interface)
Cheers
Beware of The Bear
2 REPLIES 2
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Last I checked the USB ports were just for keyboard and mouse. I could be wrong....

BUT... you don't need to buy a 64bit PCI NIC. Just get a regular old 32bit PCI 10/100 card. I'd recommend getting it from compaq (like a NC3123).

I would stay away from USB modems.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I'd recommend looking at:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html

Anything not on this list may work, but I wouldn't count on it. I agree with the previous post to use a 32 bit nic (even a 3rd party nic will have better luck than USB).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..