ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753365 Members
5747 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML310 & SATA RAID 0,1 CONTROLLER

John Mould

Proliant ML310 & SATA RAID 0,1 CONTROLLER

Ref : HP Proliant ML310G3 Small Business Server 2003 starter bundle with 4-port SATA RAID controller and two 80Gb SATA hot-plug HDD installed. (HP ref 470063-817)
----------------------------------
I would like to have more information about how to put the two SATA Harddiscs in mirroring.
I cannot find any information about this topic.
SBS 2003 is already installed and running on a partition of 8Gb of the HDD#1. No other partitions are yet created. Do I have first to enable SATA RAID in the system BIOS and then create the 72Gb extended partition on HDD#1 or create first the 72Gb extended partition on drive #1 and afterwards enable SATA RAID in system BIOS ? Or....

4 REPLIES 4
raadek
Honored Contributor

Bear in mind that this RAID controller is an ebedded one (in Itel chipset) & could be described as a software / hardware (I don't have better description).

To enable RAID you need to boot from floppy & install the driver.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
John Mould

Is this the correct driver : "HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003" ???
It's the only embedded I can find made by adaptec.
This SATA RAID controller is very poor documented !

John
raadek
Honored Contributor

I completely agree with poor documentation!

I think the driver you mentioned is the right one. However the word 'Adpaptec' confuses me - the controller is embedded into Intel E7230 chipset.

Hence it is probably possible to just use Intel driver:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2170&OSFullName=Windows+Server*+2003тМй=eng&strOSs=84&submit=Go%21

Don't panic! [THGTTG]
John Mould

I enabled the RAID in the BIOS and built the array in RAID 1. (took about 6 hours !)
Now I'm looking for a document that describes the installation of Microsoft small business server 2003 SP1 on a Proliant ML310 Generation 3 (G3 = with embedded SATA RAID controller). I found "Instructions for installing Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 on HP ProLiant and tc servers" but this is only for ML310 G1/G2

Thanks for your help,

John