108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML310e Gen8 flashing red health led

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlAzizHP
Visitor

Proliant ML310e Gen8 flashing red health led

We bought two identical ML310e Gen8 servers following advice from our local IT dealer (not on business anymore) for the same function (ethernet high protection switch connected to other self-designed factory equipment). Until that moment we used to rely on self assembled PC using branded components (Asus, Gigabyte, Intel, NVidia,...)

Just two months before this purchase, we bought two compatible boxes for the same function, that have been since then in the same conditions without any issue at all.

These 4 boxes were intended for this specific function, we don't need the slightless improvement on them. Maybe they are a little overdimensioned, but we choosed them for their supposed reliability.

Three months ago one of the HP boxes suddenly stopped. Power led went amber and, after some kind of attempt to go on green, went back to amber and health led started flashing red. No active fans, no ILO connection, no video signal.

The other HP box and the two self assembled kept working until today. Same workload, power supply, interface connection, electrical isolation, signal redundancy and protection,... 

We waisted countless hours -in several time periods as soon as frustration allowed- following each and every documented procedures, flow charts, community forums and what else you can imagine, just to end up crashing on any undocumented aspect of HPE policies (motherboard LED meanings, undocumented DIP switch functions, cryptic led light sequences, no label jumper position, motherboard proprietary connectors, useless label notices,...)

As for now, we brought down to bare minimum configuration, switched every needed component (fans, thermal probe, power supply, RAM, processor, button battery,...) of our server with his twin brother box components except, indeed, motherboard, and the outcome is the same in all attempts:

1. Power light goes amber after power cord is connected.
  2. Motherboard led P80LED1 and P80LE7 go fixed green for about 20 seconds.
  3. P80LED1 goes off, P80LED7 blinks 4 times, approx 1 flash per second.
  4. P80LED7 goes fixed (sometimes on, sometimes off), P80LED5 goes on, for about 4 seconds.
  5. PQ35ERRLED goes amber for 1 second, PWRLED1 goes green for 1 second, FAN1 and FAN2 try to start but stop after a few revs. Front panel LED goes green for a second All these events at once and last just a second.
  6. immediately all activity stops, P80LED7 starts blinking (1Hz) , P80LED5 fixed on, front UID blue led flashes 5 times (1Hz too), and front health led flashes red (about 2-4Hz).
    (At this point we can push on power switch and the system goes to point 5 and back to 6 with no UID flashes any more. There is some kind of debounce for 6 seconds that avoids repeated pushes of the main front button.)

I'm under what they call it righteous indignation in my country, so there are only two outcomes for this server: 

1. We get the right information to diagnose the problem and keep this server up and going and evaluate as "labyrinthic but succeeded support service" on any further HP hardware expense.
  2. We recycle (and unsolder any valuable component) from this box and his twin and never again use any HP equipment on our small business.
    (I've said "small" business? well, please understand "very tiny" but beloved business).

In any case, this is the last time we will spend any time trying to solve this issue. 

Advice to any community reader: please, don't get misunderstood: there are many countries in Europe where their citizens don't have English as their first language and that doesn't mean they are stupid, better "au contraire", most of them are able to speak (even though some of them with basic skills) one or more languages than most of native English speakers.

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Proliant ML310e Gen8 flashing red health led

System recommended content:

1. HP ProLiant BL420c Gen8 Server Blade - Server Does Not POST, the Health LED Bar is Illuminated Solid Green, Flashing Amber or Red

2. HPE ProLiant Servers - Health LED Remains Red During Production

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

AlAzizHP
Visitor

Re: Query: Proliant ML310e Gen8 flashing red health led

First document not related to server model, form factor or firmware version.

Second document not related to issue terms: no SO related as no boot device is connected.

Useless spam response or absolute lack of reading comprehension.

AlAzizHP
Visitor
Solution

Re: Proliant ML310e Gen8 flashing red health led

Well, there's not a clue about what's happening with this unit. Only a short undocumented led sequence on the motherboard, a red light on the front and no response from support or community.

We must say goodbye to any future HPE units for us and advice our customers against these products.

No more Proliant Servers, Workstations or "Value Servers" again after a so frustrating experience, that we will share as long as we should be able to.

It will be hardly justified investment for our business, but we will refund our customers the remaining three boxes, replace them with standard reliable hardware and recycle and unsolder any electronic component and trash the rest of these units.

I'm sorry but our reputation and the reliability of our manufacturing installations cant' depend on a computer brand (HP, Dell, IBM or any other named one) unfair secrecy about the error codes shown in their products or/and proprietary, cryptic, continuously modified and labyrintic service procedures.

Don't worry too much, we don't have so much customers and loosing our business will be meaningless to your company compared to those of your well cared BIG customers.

There's no other reasonable cause why you had ignored our requests.

Bon voyage.

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please confirm if the system board is replaced on the server.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Sorry for your experience with the product, there are some documents which will help you troubleshoot the issue.
Please see if the documentation at this link will help you, if not, you may always log a support ticket with HPE Support.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
Recent Support Video Releases

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo