1745794 Members
3834 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML330 + APC Smart-UPS 1000 + PowerChute

Axel_18
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML330 + APC Smart-UPS 1000 + PowerChute

I conected UPS to COM port of ML330 server, installed PowerChute for Windows 2003 on it. When power fails it correctly shutdowns the server. But when the power restores UPS reboots, but server doesn't start.
When i connect this ups to another computer (simple PC with Windows 2003 installed) and install PowerChute it correctly shutdowns and starts.
Can anyone help me? What's wrong with Proliant ML330 server?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant ML330 + APC Smart-UPS 1000 + PowerChute

Your server probably uses a "soft' switch - where the switch connects to the system board and sends a logic signal to the power supply to turn on

There should be setting in the CMOS setup that determines what happens when power is restored - whether the system stays off, turns on, or returns to the state when power was removed.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Axel,

Have you confirmed that the UPS is powerful enough to support the power requirements for the server? Quick specs for the UPS and then finding out the power requirements of ML 330 would quickly provide you this answer.

Have you configured the UPS wink time, shutdown time, etc?

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Axel_18
Occasional Contributor

To Ernest Ford

In the CMOS setup THERE ARE NO SETTINGS that determines what happens when power is restored. I checked it several times. In documentation to server's BIOS setup also there are no reference to such switch.

To SAKET

ProLiant ML330
Low-Line Watts = 226
High-Line Watts = 220

APC Smart-UPS 1000VA USB & Serial 230V
Output power capacity 670 Watts

So, I connect only ML330 to UPS, that's why everything is fine with power supply.
Certainly, I have configured the UPS shutdown time and reboot time.

WHAT IS WRONG?
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I suppose we need to poer up the server, Manually. Even if the server is equipped with the necerry power source like in you case.

As if there no BIOS option to change such option that when power is up that server respond to that and get powered on.

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible