ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745909 Members
4241 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML330 Bootup problem

Bryan Waller

Proliant ML330 Bootup problem

Whenever I put the plug in the power supply PC tries to power on and then cuts off 2 seconds later. It does this over and over again till unplugged. I thought it was the power supply and replace it with the same results. I then took out the server feature board and plugged it in and did the machine did not idle so i am not sure if board is bad. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

Is this a G1 G2 G3??

Have you reduced the system down to what came stock. Reseat all minimal components and cables.

The G1 and G2 systems will not post correctly if the server feature boards are not in specific slots. Check the power supply voltage selectors too. Are they set to 110 or 220?

G1 - Feature board must be in Slot 3
G2 - Feature board must be in Slot 6
G3 - SCSI models have a card in one of the 4 PCI Slots

Hope this helps
Christopher Moshier
Occasional Advisor

Voltage Regulator is most likely your problem, I have seen the same occurance on a DL360 and replacing this piece was the fix.
Bryan Waller

I checked and it it is a G2 and you are right the server feauture board should be in the last slot so it make sense the pC would not work without it. I also check the original power supply and the newer power supply that was ordered (216108-001) and the voltage regulator switch is not on it under the plug. I don't see one at all. Also the weird thing about this problem is as soon as the server is plugged in it tries to power up (the fan even spins) and whether I push the power button or not. I even diconnected the power switch from the motherboard and still the same results. Not sure what else to check.
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

The power supplies we have on ours have the 110/220 switch but they probably went with an autosensing style after?

Christopher is probably on the right track. A faulty PPM might be the issue. I believe they are embedded on the system board with this model but lack of of correct or clean power to the CPU could cause reboots like that. It's kind of like overclocking a desktop and getting to the point where there isn't enough core voltage and it just starts looping.

I'll have to test our 330G2 when I get back to the lab but it may be normal for it to power on when power is applied to the supply.