3448 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML350 E200i SmartArray Controller Fails To Initialise

gentlefoot
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML350 E200i SmartArray Controller Fails To Initialise

Dear All,

Last week our Proliant ML350 fans started running flat out. On inspection I noticed the CPU heatsink fan had stopped working. So the server was shutdown and the fan was replaced. However when attempting to boot the server the array controller failed to initialise. I got the message "1783 - Slot 0 Drive Array Controller Failure! [Controller Self-test failure]"

The E200i array controller is integrated into the system board so the system board was replaced. However, after replacement the array controller would still not initialise. Same error.

I checked the BBWC battery pack voltage with a multimeter and this was down around 2.3 volts so I replaced the battery with a new one. I also checked the new battery voltage with the multimeter before fitting it and the output was a healthy 3.8 volts.

However, the array controller is still failing to initialise with the same error and I am competely out of ideas as to what else could be the cause.

Anyone else had this problem or are there any further diagnostics I could be undertaking?

Thankyou kindly for your replies.

James

15 REPLIES 15
gentlefoot
Occasional Visitor

Been doing some reading and I'm now thinking BBCW module. What do you think?
Med-H
Frequent Advisor

Regarding the issue reported on the server ML350 G5 with a SmartArray Controller E200i  :

HP Smart Array Controller - 1783 Slot x Drive Array Controller Failure!

ISSUE:

System boots up slowly during drive initialization.

slot x HP smart array controller
1783-slot x Drive array controller failure!

• To isolate the 1783 issue related to a Smart Array controller cache module, complete the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Reseat the array accelerator module..

2. Turn off the server.

3. Update the server BIOS  and the controller firmware to the latest version .

4.Troubleshoot this issue by isolating the failed assembly if not a problem of controller cache :

• Disconnect the sas data cable(s) from the controller and post the server.

NOTE: If the 1783 error does not occur, then the fault is either cable(s), backplane(s) or disk(s). Isolate one item at a time until the faulty assembly is identified.

• Reconnect the cable(s)
  • Remove all disks from the backplane by unplugging, but not fully removing from the disk slots.
  • Power up the server, if the 1783 controller failure still occurs, isolate the cable(s) and backplane(s). If the controller passes self test then a disk(s) is causing the controller failure. Install half of the disks and power up the server. Continue adding or removing disks until problem disk(s) are isolated.

NOTE: Always press F1 after the controller displays 1789-Slot X drive disks not responding. Do not press F2 or data will be lost.

• If the 1783 controller failure still occurs with cables disconnected, the Battery Backed Write Cache (BBWC) or the controller is defective. Replace the BBWC and then the controller to isolate the failure.

NOTE: some controllers will display a 1783 controller failure if the BBWC ( array accelerator module ) is either defective or not installed.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

thanks.

I am an HP employee
Srini_Raghavan
Regular Visitor

Hello James,

128 MB cache module can actually cause the controller not to initialize and thereby marking it as failed. You may try 64MB cache module to isolate the issue.  If your server is still covered by warranty then i would suggest you to HP for more qualified answer.

Regards

Srini.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Update the server’s BIOS and the Smart Array E200i Controller and the firmware of the hard drives. To do so, boot the server with the latest version of the Firmware DVD from the ML350 G5 server’s driver download link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProdSearch.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prod=ML350 g5

If the issue persists, then boot the server from the latest version of SmartStart CD image available in the above link and run Maintenance > Array  Diagnostics > Array Diagnostics Utility and generate the Array Diagnostics Utility Report and save it in a USB drive. Review the report for any hard drive failures, cache module failures, battery failures.

If the issue persists after updating the firmware, then remove the cache memory module and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

gentlefoot
Occasional Visitor

Hi and thanks for all the replies.

Srini, I took note of your mention that the 128Mb module can cause problems and the 64Mb module could be used to isolate the problem.

I am about to order a new 128Mb module and wanted to order a 64Mb module at the same time just in case replacing the 128Mb module does not solve the problem and same day delivery is expensive. Problem is I don't have a part number and cannot find any mention of a 64Mb module for the E200i anywhere.

Do you know how I can find out the part number for the 64Mb module?

Thanks again.

James
Med-H
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Do you have a Raid 5 configured on your server ?

Please find bellow all Parts references installed on the server include the 64Mb Module 

QuickSpecs for the smart array E200i/E200 :

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12460_div/12460_div.pdf

also you can use the Part surfer to get the exact spare part of the memory module cache :

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

I am an HP employee
Hazem Bahgat
Frequent Advisor

Dear James,

Kindly use the SMart Start access the Array Diagnostics utility (ADU), from Array Configuraton Utility (ACU), if the arrays are working well, go to the ACU and repair the array relation.

or you can repair it from the begining,  and then check if you may have any other errors

Best Regards and Appreciation,
Hazem Bahgat

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
Srini_Raghavan
Regular Visitor

Good Day James,

Find the part number below for 64MB cache module.

412800-001 Smart Array E200i controller cache module - 64 MB.

Below is what i would recommend to do :

1) Reseat 128MB cache module and check.

2) You need to have a cache module installed on e200 controller. So removing the cache module to isolate the issue is not an option. Try 64 MB cache if you have decided to buy one.

Make sure that you perform all the required troubleshooting without the HDDs connected. We certainly won’t like to hurt the hard drives. In this way we can also isolate if any of the HDDs are causing this issue.

Do consider upgrading the controller to P400, if the cost of repairing e200 is going to sniff the price of a new controller.

Srini.

BN_Yosra

Hi James,

SA-E200/SA-E200i Controllers with 64 MB of memory support only  RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 1+0 drive arrays, but do not support  RAID 5 .

So if you're using a RAID 5 you need a 128 MB cache module .

try to reset the cache module and check the result.

Hope this help,

thanks
I am an HP employee