1753640 Members
5227 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G2 + Redhat 7.1 + Smart Array 5312/128 Controller

Gregory Lee
Advisor

Proliant ML350 G2 + Redhat 7.1 + Smart Array 5312/128 Controller

Anyone managed to get it done? In my array, I have 2x18Gb (RAID-1) and 2x36Gb (RAID-1).

I followed the HOWTO from the Compaq site about using SmartStart (v5.4) to install Linux. The SmartStart portion proceeds without a hitch (array & raid config) but when I reboot from the RH71 CD - then the error occurs.

It happens at the point after you select what class of installation you want (eg. server, workstation, etc). At that point, it will pop up and say "No valid block devices found to configure filesystem...".

This leads me to believe that it's not recognising the smart array controller. I tried to use the latest driver (for smart array 5i, 5300 series for RH72) version (v2.4.30-1) but to no avail.

There does not seem to be any smart array drivers specifically for Redhat 7.1

Any insights?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space! Anonymous
6 REPLIES 6
Orion Quest
Advisor

Try the following link
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/61.html

if you scroll near the bottom you will see Compaq Linux Driver for the Smart Array 5i, 5300 Series for Red Hat Linux 7.1 -this should include the 532 controller the exact link is
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/10859.html you can read all the specs there.
Gregory Lee
Advisor

Thanks.

But those drivers assume that the OS is already installed. (those are in RPM format)

In my case, I can't even get past the installer because the error pops up when I'm at the configuration screen.
Martin Daehmlow
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gregory,
we have nearly the same problem. We have bought a HP Proliant ML570 with a SmartArray Controller 5312. Our problem is the same. We found an rpm-file but we get problems during the first installation of the OS. Our OS ist Suse Linux Enterprise Server 7 (SLES7).

Did you get any answer from someone concerning your problem? In this forum I could not found anything.

Thanks in advance.
Gregory Lee
Advisor

Martin,

Unfortunately the problem was not fixed. My counterparts have advised that they were facing a similar problem with RedHat 7.1 and that they had to move to 7.3 - I did the same and found I could install the OS successfully.

But I have yet to find out the difference in the array drivers between 7.1 and 7.3, so I can't help you there.
Oliver Staehr
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
found this old thread with exactly my actual problem. I have a ML570 G2 with SmartArray 5312. Installing SLES 7 with kernel 2.4.7 and cciss driver v2.4.32-1 works but after installing the patch-cd with kernel 2.4.18 it won't start any more (thank god this is an evaluation server ...). The driver module dumps and that's it. The error message is: "Partition check: cciss/c0d0:<1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000050".
BIOS and FW versions are current and this config should be supported. Any ideas ?
Regards, Oliver
Michael Aos
Advisor

I'd really like to install RedHat 7.1 on an ML530 G2 with a Compaq Smart Array 5312 controller.

Is this possible? I'd even consider creating my own driver disk, if I could get a little coaching...

Thanks a bunch,

Mike