108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML350 G2. Smart 532 and Disks fail

SOLVED
Go to solution
Achim Petri
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML350 G2. Smart 532 and Disks fail

After booting a ML350 with Smart 532 with 6 Hot-Plug disks attached, the disk´s and the array are no lonmger avaiable. There is no light at the disks, the controller will be identified in setup, but controller bios don´t come up and the drives stand still. When Powering on, the drives flash for a second, that´s all. If the 532 is broken, is the old Smart-2/P compatible with the 532, because I have an old Smart-2/P here, but not an 532. Is it possible to connect the drives to the 2/P to copy/backup the data?
10 REPLIES 10
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Achim,

Smart 2/P were originally used with OLD ProSignia & proliant server. I dont think this will work with a generation 2 Server.

Do you have another server with 532 on it ? You may try connecting these HDDs to it(offline) & boot to see if it allows to to retrieve data.

Regards.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Achim,

Try the 532 in a different PCI slot and see if that makes any difference. Try slots 1 and 6 first (Primary PCI bus on ML350 G2) then any other slots (2,3,4,5 are secondary PCI bus).

If this fails the Smart 2P "might" pick up the drives but you will get various messages relating to the cache size changing and possibly others. If possible, upgrade the Smart 2P firmware to version 4.50 before connecting it to these disks using the diskette based option Rompaq.
(Only needed if the firmware is below 4.50 which can be checked when the controller goes through POST tests)

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html

I hope this helps.

Brian

Achim Petri
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

no I don´t have another 532 somewhere. If yes, life would be easy :-)
I have a 532 at another costumers server, but I´m not sure what will happen with his configuration (array) if I use this controller for connecting and backing up the data on the other server. ill the configuration of the array in the servers which rent´s th 532, saved ?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Achim,

If you can borrow the other 532 it will save a lot of trouble. You can borrow this to recover / backup your data without worrying about the other customer.

The configuration is held on the disks, not the controller so you can safely replace the controller on your system, back up your data and then return the controller to the other customer.

It will automatically pick up the configuration from the disks. This is one of the biggest advantages of the Smart Array controllers. You can also use any 5XXX series controller, like the 5300 (5302 or 5304) for example since these use the same drivers when booting the OS.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Achim Petri
Occasional Advisor

HI,

the other controller was not available, and so I flashed the 2P Smart to FW 4.5, and connected the array. All logical disk are avaiable and accessable (THANK YOU BRIAN). My problem now is, that I have a new controller Smart 2/P instead of Smart 532 and win2k will not boot, because it´s missing the driver (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). I can´t find the needed driver with the TXTSETUP.OEM file . Does anyone where I can find it.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Achim,

Here is the Smart 2 driver kit including the txtsetup.oem file. (See attached zip file).

I hope this helps,

Brian
Achim Petri
Occasional Advisor

Hi Brian,

sorry, you forget the attachment. :-)
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

No - It's there.

Click on the paperclip image at the top right side of my reply.

Regards,

Brian
Achim Petri
Occasional Advisor

Great, zhank you very muh for your help