cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML350 G2 and SCSI problems

Lee Melton
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML350 G2 and SCSI problems

I have just taken a job with a company which involves support Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 server running on one of these, with another server running Windows 2000.
I have successfully installed Windows 2000 SP3 and Exchange SP3 with all relevant Microsoft service packs on the Exchange server, and this seems to be ticking along nicely.
However, the Windows 2K server has apparently from day one had an issue where on cold boot or reboot, the SmartArray initialises, and the disk lights go out...then after about 10 minutes, they illuminate and boot proceeds to the Windows 2K Splash screen.
Then, it appears to reinitialise the SCSI again, with another 10 minute wait before any activity takes place.
Can somebody offer me any suggestions for curing this, and also, any guidance in installing the latest CarePaqs would be appreciated, as I have tried looking for installation instructions and have only found details for remote deployment as well as some web based services that I am not 100% sure are installed.

Many thanks,

Lee
4 REPLIES
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML350 G2 and SCSI problems

My first suspission is that you have a faulty power supply. You can check to see if you have waranty left on this server from the HP site:
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/warranty_upgrades/product_specific_warranty.asp
If replacing the Power Supply does not fix it, you may have a bad RAID card.

As far as the drivers and bios to go on this box, click here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_2588.html
G'Luck!
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Have you looked at the SCSI cable that goes from the array controller to the hot-plug enclosure? If you have a spare cable sticking around it might be worth swapping them just to make sure.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Have you check the RAID to see if there is a failure? One drive is bad? THis would explain the ability to boot, but with a deal while the controller waits for the drive, once when the RAID Formware kicks in and once when the WIndows driver kicks in.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Lee Melton
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I've downloaded and successfully installed all Carepaq components as directed by HP Support.
Rebooted...same thing happened.
I've checked the cabling, seems ok, securely plugged in, all drives from the management console appear to be fine.
Have removed the disks from the array when the server was completely powered off to check for poor seating/dust ingress...checked and ok.
Any help greatfully received.