1751974 Members
5132 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G3 - Slow File Access

Alan Norris
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML350 G3 - Slow File Access

We have a new ML350 G3 running Windows server 2003.

We use the file server for hosting AutoCAD drawings, and have a share, which users connect to via a login script.

One folder has about 2gb worth of AutoCAD files, when users browse to this folder, in either Explorer or through AutoCAD's open file dialogue, they get a torch/flashlight for a few seconds then the files are displayed.

If I copy the files to my old Dell PowerEdge 4400, the files show up immediatly!

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem. I have a RAID 5 array in the Proliant, made up of 4 36gb SCSI drives.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Alan.
10 REPLIES 10
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Alan,
I guess the users are accessing the server through a file share, right?

Do you see the torch light when you directly access the directory tree while being logged in on the ML350? From the description it could be a network problem, too.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please use the attachment file to see the performace of the drives connected on server.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Mahmood Khatri
Occasional Advisor

I have faced a similar problem on ML350 G3 with Windows 2003.It was worse, I was getting blue screen with Hardware Malfunction error while copying large file. It seems there is some incompatibility btw win2003 and the integrated network card on the server.The solution was to replace the nic with another one and it has worked fine.
Alan Norris
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the suggestions,

When I browse the folder locally, I don't get the torch, its immediate access.

I have a spare 1gb NIC, I'll try it in the server and see what happens!

Thanks again.
Alan Norris
Occasional Advisor

I tried the spare NIC in the server and it didn't make any diference! :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Alan.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Alan,

Whats the speed/duplex set on your NIC? If its not set to full duplex, set to be it and check on the switch what speed it negotiates to. Ensure that the switch port speed/duplex setting are the same as your NIC setting in terms of speed/duplex.

Are you using group policies to assign access rights to the shares? Have you got nested policies on your OU in Active Directory?

Hope this helps and could you please assign points to the replies:)

Regards
Alan Norris
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Its set to Auto negotiate. I have other folders under the share I'm trying to get to and they open fine, although none is as big as the problem folder.. could it be a w2k3 setting?
Alan Norris
Occasional Advisor

Sorry just read the rest of your message! I assign rights using active directory, but not group policy, just use a security group and assign the group directly on the share.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Alan,

I would try forcing the speed/duplex on the NIC and at the switch port end.

Could you also please assign some points to the replies:)

Regards,