ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751975 Members
5001 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G3 fails to start (LEDs flashing rapidly)

Trifon Ivanov

Proliant ML350 G3 fails to start (LEDs flashing rapidly)

Hi there,

we have a Proliant ML350 G3 with 1 Xeon 2.8 GHz CPU. Since I tried to connect the server to a UPS unit via a serial cable, the server fails to start. Apparently some sort of electricity has entered the machine through the serial port and caused damage there.

Status of LEDs:
- power looks normal (green)
- NIC looks normal (green and showing activity)
- internal health flashing rapidly between red and amber
- external health flashing amber rapidly (at presumably the same speed as internal health)
- built-in DLT drive seems to start normally
- HDD LEDs light up briefly at startup, then all off
- at the back both PSU LEDs flashing green rapidly (again maybe at the same speed)
Motherboard LEDs:
- Power continuously green
- NB ALERT continuously red
- PPM 1 flashing amber rapidly (same speed as above)
- everything else off

What I've already tried:
We have an identical second machine and I tried exchanging a few parts and found that they all work correctly in the good machine:
- PMM 1
- both PSUs
- memories
I've also tried to start without the DLT drive plugged in.
Needless to say I've tried it with and without the UPS (which seems to be working correctly).

Does anybody have some advice on how to find out which part is defective?
Or can I already conclude that the motherboard is damaged and needs to be changed?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Yours,
Trifon
4 REPLIES 4
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Unplug the serial cable and server from UPS. Just plug it into the wall and turn on. What happens? Are you sure the UPS is the correct one for that server? What is the UPS? Does its battery have the current to hold a server? I usually recommend 2kVA or larger for a server.
Trifon Ivanov

Thank you for your answer.
The UPS is a Powerware 5105 1000VA and as I said I disconnected the server from the UPS and tried starting without it. Unfortunately without success.
BTW: The server has been working flawlessly for years with both the power cables and serial cable connected to this UPS. But now after a move I tried to reconnect those devices and apparently damaged something inside my server.

I promise I will never try to connect anything to this UPS again, but I just have to find out which part of the ML350 I have to replace in order to make it work again.

Best wishes,
Trifon
Trifon Ivanov

Answering my own problem:
I had the motherboard replaced today and everything works nicely again. Don't know which part of the board was damaged though.

Trifon
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Does it really matter which part, if it failed. I would not use a 1000VA UPS on a file server. The battery would probably not be capable of holding up that server.