108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G3 red light on case

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Brummitt

Proliant ML350 G3 red light on case

Hello,
I have a Proliant ML350 G3 with a red light ont he front case. Change the All the hard drive lights the other day came on and the system became unresponsive. I changed out the back plate, the scsi cable, the scsi card, the mother board. Was up and running fine last night. Came in this morning and the red light is on and it is nonresposive again. I have it on redundant power supplies. I have another ml350 that is identical and know the drives are good. I plugged them in to the other ML 350 and boots fine. Could this be a faulty power supply? And if so, how do I test them?

Thanks,

Bill
5 REPLIES 5
Cederberg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try to check the temprature inside the server sounds like it's running to hot...
Bill Brummitt

Thanks, I did pop the case and found the CR24 Overtemp LED is amber. Will running with out the cover help the temp problem? And does this mean the motherboard is now fried? I have not tried to cycle the power since I now have an error to investigate to resolve the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bill B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Removing the cover may make things worse, air flow is important, removing the cover will disrupt that.
But you might want to run it up with the cover off to verify both of the fans drawing the air through are okay.
Also check that the airway in front is clear, that's where you want the coolest air to be drawn through.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

As Rob says above is correct. And No your motherboard is probably not fried. if the server startsup and all the hardware works it's OK. But you need to check all the Fans and see to it that the server surroundings. The ideal temp for a server enviroment is 16-22 degrees celcius..
Bill Brummitt

Thanks both of you. Our server room runs normally around 80 deg. I know, this is not good. We are in the middle of a move. I cycled the power of the server, and checked the fans. All fans are working. I placed a small fan next to the server and pointed it at the mother board. Placed a digital thermomiter on the inside of the case and it seems to keep around 90 deg before adding the fan, and now is running about 78 deg. Server made it throught the night with out shutting down. Hopefully this will last till we get our new room AC installed next week. Again, thanks for all your help!

Bill