108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G3 with dual RAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
DanK_1
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML350 G3 with dual RAID

I have a Proliant ML350 G3 which came out of the box with 3 x 36.4GB Ultra 320 scsi disks configured as RAID 5. The logical drive is nearly full and I want to add more rom. Can I retain the current configuration and add 2 x 146.8GB SCSI disks configured as RAID 1 to operate as a second logical drive?

Obviously, I want to retain the current os installed (Windows 2003) and data. There's no sign of a smart array controller on the machine. Is it all configured at startup?
13 REPLIES 13
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

How do you know it is RAID 5 currently?

Do you see one disk in Disk Management? (one logical Disk) or do you see 3 separate disks configured with Software RAID?

If you see one disk (Disk 0) then you likely have a SMart Array. If so, then you can easily add the 2 drives, if yuou have available slots, and configure a new array with 1 logical drive on it.

Other options might be to replace your existing drives with the larger ones (if you can get one more), then you can keep one array and have 2 separate logical drives (one RAID5, your current one. And one new one, RAID1 or however you want to configure it).

If you do have a smart array, you can simply plug the drives in, run the ACU and configure them while the server is online.

If you do NOT have a SMart Array, the I suggest shutting down the server, installing the new drives, turn the server on to boot up.. go to Disk Management and configure Software RAID1.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matt Burgess
Frequent Advisor

Like the previous poster said, this can all be done provided you actually have a SA controller. Let's determine that first.

Go to device manager under Windows and look at your scsi controllers. If there's no Smart Array controller in there (an ML530 doesn't come with one unless you option it in) then you're probably using software RAID.

If you have a controller, go here and download the support pack.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24537.html

You can either install just the Array Configuration Utility or the whole PSP. It's up to you.
DanK_1
Occasional Advisor

Steven/Matt,

Thank you very much for your responses. I have discovered where the smart array controller is, but when I go to launch the ACU, I do not have the correct password it seems. Is there a default one? I used the administrator password for the server, but this doesn't work. The person who managed the server has gone from the company - I thought he'd given me all the info I required.

There are 3 users available to login as and I've tried them all:
administartor
operator
user

Thanks.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Dan,
It depends on your Proliant support pack version
In newest PSP version you use OS accounts,
(try to write account like /administrator or /administrator)
See this thread as well:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=844918
DanK_1
Occasional Advisor

Igor,

Thank you for the response. I installed PSP vers7.2 successfully, launched the ACU and was greeted with the message that 'This version of the HP System Management Homepage uses host operating system authentication. '. So all seems fine...however, I still can't log in...

The properties of the server are
Computer Name: serverwest
Domain: hiberniawest.com
username: administrator

I tried the usernames below with the assoicated password for the administrator account, but no joy....any suggestions?

hiberniawest.com\administrator
serverwest\administrator

Thanks.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Dan,
Can you login to system management homepage?

If you use domain account write domain name in NetBIOS form - (I assume it is hiberniawest\administrator for your domain)

P.S. you wrote "I installed PSP vers7.2", I understand you install 7.20 version because I write link to 7.20 in my post from March. Currently last PSP version is 7.51
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24537.html
I don't think it is related to login problem, just FYI.

Regarding
DanK_1
Occasional Advisor

Igor,

Thanks for replying. The system management homepage is what I'm bought to when I click to launch the ACU. This is what I couldn't log in to with the usernames specified previously.

Also, my mistake...I did install PSP 7.51
DanK_1
Occasional Advisor

Are there any other suggestions for logging into the System Home Page...nothing to do with Active Directory is it?
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

It is pretty strange that you still cannot access SMH even with the above suggestions.

I would suggest you to download just the SMH package and re-install it.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24587.html

After this reinstall SMH should use the present windows authentication in use.

Hope this solves your issue.