108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
SimonDB

Proliant ML350 G3

Hi there...

I am a dba, not a server expert, so forgive me if my language isn't a techy as it could be!

We have a Proliant ML350 G3 that currently holds 3 SCSI mirrors and a Western Digital IDE drive. We're running SQL Server 2000 on the server but have recently experienced performance issues. The IDE drive was added to take the log files, and thereby free up one of the mirrors for the TempDB, but we're still struggling.

Can you advise whether the ML350 G3 could take any other form of storage other than that IDE (PATA) drive that would offer us a faster fourth storage option?

With thanks,
Simon
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

The quick specs are here.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11430_div/11430_div.HTML

You can install a 2-drive cage on the top (item #1 in the picture) to add two more SCSI drives. You also have extrnal storage options with added array controllers.

You have to sit back and evaluate whether any disk upgrades will help with this old server. Maybe you are expecting too much. If you add two more disks you would expect a higher i/o demand. The added disks would go on the smale SCSI controller, could the SCSI controller handle the additional i/o?

You can also add separate SCSI array controllers with external disk enclosures.
If you did that, you will not have a disk or controlelr bottleneck but now the question is can the server absorb all that i/o at the i/o bus level internally in the system board?

SimonDB

Hi TTr

Thanks for your speedy reply. Do you know what sort of cage I would need to house those further two SCSI drives?

This solution sounds like a good one for me - four mirrors would be ideal.

Thanks,
Simon
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

Do you know what type of Smart Array controller is installed and does it have battery-backed write cache added? This usually makes a big difference in performance.

If you have the Array Configuration Utility installed (ACU) go to Start-Programs-HP System Tools (Or Compaq System Tools)- Array Configuration Utility. You will get the Smart Array model from there and if you click on More Information you should get the cache details. When Write-back cache is present the cache BIAS is normally set to 50% read 50% write so you should be able to check this.

If you have never run ACU before don't worry if all the disks light up when you run it - this is normal. Once you exit ACU they go off again.

Regards,

Brian

SimonDB

Hi Brian

Thanks for your tip - unfortunately the array accelerator has no write cache, only 16MB read, so 100% read ratio.

Is this something that can be altered?

With thanks,
Simon
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Simon,

Some Smart Array controllers can only have read cache and others support battery backed cache, it depends on the model.
It should tell you in ACU which model of Smart Array controller you have. Examples are Smart Array 532, Smart Array 5300, Smart Array 641, Smart Array 6400 etc.

Let us know which model you have installed.

Brian
TTr
Honored Contributor

The add-on cage in in the quickspecs URL above, under the "Options" section. In the same section, you can see all the raid controllers that can be installed on this server and each controller has its own URL. Go to each controller's URL to find out the BBWC option that you need to buy. Add more than 16MB of cache if there is such an option.
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Simon,
We can't comment on available options, without knowing the name of the controller

If your existing SCSI hard drives are not 146 GB hard drives then may be you can upgrade them to 146 GB to get more space.

Please check this in quickspecs:
ML3xx Two Bay Hot Plug SCSI Drive Cage
NOTE: The drive cage option kit (PN 244059-B21) has one 1├в drive bay and one 1.6├в drive bay. It installs in two removable media bays.
244059-B21

May be you need to get one 1" and second 1.6" hard drives

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">